LED lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brad6006

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
I've got a 125 tank with discus and plants. I'm running CO2 and currently have compact fluorescents. The CF's are in need of replacement and other repair, so I'm thinking about replacing them. I'd like a light that will grow plants and enhance the colors of the discus.

I've always wanted to run metal halides, but I want so consider all my options.
One option is to get another CF fixture, some replacement parts, sockets, clips, ballasts, and all new bulbs.

I've looked at combination fixtures-MH with Fluorescents.

I'm considering a T5 strip, but I'd probably have to get 2 three foot strips because I cant find a 6 foot strip.

I havent researched the LED's much. I've got some LED work lights and flashlights, and the bulbs are supposed to last almost forever. Would that be an advantage of a LED fixture, or does the light fall off over time? I know they dont consume nearly as much electricity, and they dont get hot like other fixtures.

I'm not looking for the cheapest alternative, I'm looking for the best way to go long term. Cheapest for me would be another CF and some repair. But replacing the bulbs every 6 months or so gets expensive, and I forget to replace them until one burns out.

As of today, I'm leaning toward T5s, but Id sure like to hear from someone thats running LED's to find out how thats working for them.
I'd like to pull the trigger pretty soon here, but Id sure like to hear your opinions on whats working for you.
Thanks
Brad

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
There are only a small handful of folks around here running high-output LED setups, and they are all home-built as far as I know. There are a few options for prebuilt fixtures, but right now they are very expensive up front and are geared mostly toward reef-style lighting more so than FW planted lighting. Most of the HO LEDs right now have about a 70% lumen retention over a 10 years period, so they are definitely good for the long haul when compared to MH or fluorescent. So, a lot of it will come down to how handy you are with DIY stuff if you want to go with LED.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Greetings, If you might have noticed, I run an LED system over my 29g and have wonderful results. However, to match a decent set of T5's your going to have to have AT least 1 LED per 24 square inches of your tank. If yours is indeed 48"x24x24 your going to need AT LEAST 48 LEDs, which just the LEDs themselves would run you about 280, add another 75 for heatsinks, 25 for power supply and about another $80 for the the lenses (2ft deep, needs optics)

So total is about $460, its not cheap up front but well worth it. Might I remind you these arn't your regular LEDs, these are high power 3w LEDs that put out an insane amount of light.

Advantages of LED.
Can run cooler (thermal management is key with these).
Usuall voltage is low enough so you can touch open conections.
Low power consumption vs Power Compact.
Yeilds better plant growth vs Power Compact.
Provides 70% of original light output after 50,000 hours, providing a useful life of over 13 years @9 hrs per day.
Fully Dimmable.
With some RGBs you could adjust the color to your tastes.
Shimmers like Metal Halide.

Disadvantges.
Requires heatsinking.
Requires drivers (constant current, can be built for cheap though, about a buck each).
Requires DC power.
Requires optics for tank depths farther than 16".
To get an LED fixture for your tank @ $500 your going to have to DIY just about everything.

If it was me, yes I would go LED, but make no mistake, its a rather large undertaking if the groundwork isn't laid. Thankfully a few people have done that already (in reefing, arrgh) so you can get a feel for whats in front of you. If your still interested, just PM me.

If your looking for an easy 5 minute setup, go T5, if your looking to save a little dough over a 13 year period, some shimmer and other nice stuff, go LED.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store