Suggestions for a small tank setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I've been keeping aquarium fishes for couple of years until 2004 when I had to give it up. Since then, I have not had any opportunity to start this hobby again.

That's starting to change again. I don't want to begin a big tank since I know I will move out probably in a year or so. I'm looking to start may be a 10g or a 15g. I think 20g would be too big and too much hassle to move.

I'm looking for some idea on setting up this small setup. I'm looking for a setup that is still interesting if not somewhat challenging to keep up. If I can breed them, even better. Few years ago, I was about to start another small setup based on shell dwellers from the other lake from Africa (doh forgot most of the terminologies on aquarium now!). Not sure how big the setup was going to be...

Just as a background, I had couple of tanks while back.

One of them was a community tank with common fishes such as tetras, rams, cory catfishes and some algae eaters. I also had a albino pleco that was breeding in that tank. I had java moss and java ferns which were growing well in that low light environment.

The other was a malawi tank with common cichlids with lots of large rocks. I was able to breed all species in that tank as well. I had to artificially keep pH and hardness higher than tap by adding sea salt and the other salt I can't remember at the moment... lol.

Third tank was a tank full of live bearers. This tank was weird in a sense that the tank was 2/3 full of java moss which allowed most young ones to live without getting eaten. It was setup for me to easily retain most of the frys without messing with the tank.

Remember, the goal is to create an interesting tank that is relatively easy to move. A tank full of tetras is not going to be enough. :grinno:

MrGoodbytes

...has a research topic! :)
Nov 27, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Welcome back! I went through a similar hiatus until I started up again in September. Don't worry about the terminology, it's like riding a bike :p. Shellies (from Lake Tanganyika) could work in a 15 gal but someone with more experience with them could give you more in-depth advice. Killifish are another option you could look into. That's just off the top of my head but I'm sure there are other interesting ideas out there.

Good luck with the new setup and remember to post pics! :)

Soupysteve

Apathetic Master
Aug 24, 2008
Ozarks - Springfield, Mo
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Stephen Hess
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy 7 Active
Have you considered a saltwater set-up? With the tank being so small, you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for lighting. Top it off with RO or distilled water - and when you do a water change - how difficult is one gallon, really?
A ten gallon with some live rock, some soft corals, a SMALL clean up crew, a pistol shrimp and a "not-so-run-of-the-mill" goby can make for quite a display.
Aquariums and chocolate milk are the only things I'll never give up on as long as I live...

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Welcome back! I went through a similar hiatus until I started up again in September. Don't worry about the terminology, it's like riding a bike :p. Shellies (from Lake Tanganyika) could work in a 15 gal but someone with more experience with them could give you more in-depth advice. Killifish are another option you could look into. That's just off the top of my head but I'm sure there are other interesting ideas out there.

Good luck with the new setup and remember to post pics! :)
I read up on some of the articles I book marked while back so I'm a bit more up to date now. :)

Yes I was looking at shellies, I think Ocellitus on 15g (1ft high tank) on a sand substrate. That could still be an option. I think the tank is 2ftx2ftx1ft which I believe I purchased because of the nice surface area to volume ratio.

Are shellies easy to breed?

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Have you considered a saltwater set-up? With the tank being so small, you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for lighting. Top it off with RO or distilled water - and when you do a water change - how difficult is one gallon, really?
A ten gallon with some live rock, some soft corals, a SMALL clean up crew, a pistol shrimp and a "not-so-run-of-the-mill" goby can make for quite a display.
Aquariums and chocolate milk are the only things I'll never give up on as long as I live...
I have to admit this is tempting. I did look into setting up a salt water tank based on 3ftx1.5ft tank before but after calculating the cost to setup, I gave up. I wonder what's feasible on 2x1x1 tank at what cost?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store