Has my fish got ich and cotton mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swaffs

AC Members
Oct 15, 2008
Morden, Surrey, UK
Went out at the weekend to get some fish as our tank has reached the cycling point of 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 40 nitrate.
We brought 6 Hi-fin red platys and a common pleco to add to our tank which already had 3 zebra danios.
I was sat looking at the tank to see if they are all well and happy, and noticed that 1 of the mouths of the platys was slightly white, it also has 2 white dots above the eye.
It's not interested in any food and is hiding away for long periods.

Please see pic below to help identify.

Could this be mouth fungus and ich? any help and advice would be greatfully recieved.

During the time I was trying to get a resonable photo to post for the Hi=fin platy problem I noticed that 1 of the Zebra danios has a bubble or enlarged mouth, this fish is swimming around and eating fine.
I have had the 3 zebra danios for about 6 weeks in another tank with no problems. Which also joined the main tank with the new fish on Sunday.
All the fish look happy this morning and feeding well.
Could it be they have brought this with them from my LFS or could it be stress?
Again any help would be great

I've just done a full check on levels and the tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate, PH 7 and temp is 26c
I have also added Melafix about 2 hrs ago

Pic below

swaffs

AC Members
Oct 15, 2008
Morden, Surrey, UK
Many thanks for your reply. I've just been and brought some protozin, so hopefully I will see some improvement in a few days.... fingers crossed.

rebeccahh22

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2011
My fish has this as well.. but she only has the mouth thing. Is this columnaris? Does that = mouth fungus that my melafix will fix if I take my carbon out while treating? Also, will it hurt my other fish to treat it? Thanks so much, I'm new!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Welcome, rebeccahh22!

I wouldn't bother with Melafix if it's indeed Columnaris. I would treat with an antibiotic and antifungal medication all in one, since they are often difficult to distinguish. If your other fish show no symptoms, it's best to remove the afflicted fish to a "hospital" tank where it can be treated in a stress-free environment and your main biological filter will not be damaged. This can be a spare tank, a rubbermaid tote, or even a clean bucket running an airstone if need be. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store