Too Many Angel Babies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GT3050

AC Members
Apr 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I have a breeding pair of angels. I bought the two of them about 8 months ago when they were little and somehow they paired up and starting laying eggs. I'm not a breeder or anything and this has happened before with another set of angels a long time ago. Ok, my dilemma. I managed to save 3 fry from the last batch. They are now 19 days old and in a plastic breeding home hanging on the side of my 45 gallon tank. I did not do baby brine shrimp becuase I didn't know how. I feed them Hikari First Bites. Anyways now my angelfish laid eggs again. Actually they're wigglers now and they're still attached to the filter pipe. I was hoping the parents would move them to a safer leaf but they haven't. That's my first worry. Secondly when they become free swimming in a couple days I will have to move them because others they'll get eaten, sucked into the rocks ect. I was hoping to put them in with my 19 day old fry who are still tiny as well(probably because of no bbs). However, I've goten a reply that said my first little guys will eat my soon to be free swimmers if I put them together. Is this true? I couldn't see this happening. Even the Hikari First Bites powder granules seem like a strugle for them to down so how could they eat other little fry? So basically I don't know where I'm going to put them if this is true. Should I buy a 10 with a sponge filter and put them in there? I need advice...any is welcome thanks. :)

chipstahoy

i like herps...and fish
Oct 17, 2003
michigan
www.msu.edu
first of all, i would just like to say that i wish i had your problem. i've had 6 angels for almost a year and just acquired 4 more from my friend, and they still haven't paired off at all (bummer).

secondly, i would recommend that if yer pretty serious about wanting to raise these babies up, you should pry get at least a 20 gallon or so for them to grow up in. you could keep all the tiny babies in a ten gallon, but they will quickly outgrow that (and pry a 20 g too). you wanna get them to a sellable size before you have to buy a bigger tank for all of them. if you could split them up b/w a couple tanks, that would work as well. sponge filters work nicely because they don't usually cause problems with the fry. i hope this helps

-chip

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
From my experience with raising tons of Gold Gouramis, get a 40G breeder tank, or 2 if you are intent on raiseing large numbers of baby fish. If you aren't then let nature take it's course. You will have a few of the best of the brood and can separate the biggest into a tank of their own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store