What's the best food for briggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I just recieved my two new purple briggs snails today :) have you guys had luck with for food? I heard that they're not huge fans of snail jello and such.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Mine eat snail jello from msjinkzd's food recipe avidly. The best ones are always the ones containing a lot of calcium for their shells. Try the collards, cucumber, lettuce, celery and other vegetables. They'll love them as well as commercial foods. They're also supplemented with calcium pills to aid their shell development.:hearts:

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
:iagree:

Food from kensfish: Veggie Sticks and Catfish Pellets and I throw them some Hikari Algae wafers sometimes.

Grats on the snails! did you get your brigs from jinkzy, too? (We do love pics, hint hint :p)

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I got them from KIM_TNA here on AC!

I'm totally going to post pics... right after I acclimated them, I had to go to work :( I'll put them up as soon as I get home. They're huge... way bigger than I expected.

I think that I'll try the ken's pellets. I can't boil water. In the meantime, do you think that they'd be ok with algae wafers and the crab bites that I feed my shrimp?

Finally, I head that you could add cuttlebone to the water to improve they're shell health. Can I get that at a regular petstore? Do I just put it into the filter?

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
When I make snail jello the only heating I do is microwaving the baby food :) the rest is crushing, mixing, then cooling in the fridge.

you can buy cuttlebone at any pet store that sells bird supplies, like Petco for example. I just break off a 1" hunk and toss it right into the tank, they'll stop by for a nibble every so often. idk how effective it would be in the filter.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I think that I'll try the ken's pellets. I can't boil water. In the meantime, do you think that they'd be ok with algae wafers and the crab bites that I feed my shrimp?
They'll eat anything. Those are fine.

Finally, I head that you could add cuttlebone to the water to improve they're shell health. Can I get that at a regular petstore? Do I just put it into the filter?
Drop them straight to the tank. The snails will rasp on those. Another alternative is the broken eggshells. Just wash them off to remove the mucous membrane and drop straight. You could also try liquid calcium dosing. pik01 answered your question for sources.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Cuttlebones are in the bird section at many different stores (it's the internal shell of the cuttlefish). They do float so if you want to use them you'll have to either weight the down or put them in your filter.

If you have a canister you can break them up into small pieces (hammer) and place them in the carbon chamber.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store