Archer fish questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Well hello all its been quite some time since I last posted been crazy busy for a while now and Finally have got some slow time. So what kind of tank size would I have to Have for a pair of archer fish would a 40 gallon be ok or would I have to go bigger And what kind of hides would be necessary for them I got more questions but I got some stuff to take care of real quick here so ill post them up later.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
i knew i had read someplace that they are great jumpers, so a very well sealed tank which pretty much stops the bug shootin action

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Im moving rooms to a Slightly bigger one So i would be able to have quite a large tank in there. I keep reptiles so I know all to well that a tight lid is required lol is there any decent care sheets online for them The one that I have found arent all that great. Sorry for posting in the wrong section I was unaware that they are brackish water fish everything I read online said fresh water Im glad I posted here.

goby1kenobi

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2008
If it were me.... I'd go with one of those tanks that has the cutout on the side for a hang-on filter and turn it into a viquarium. Plant the drier end so you can have plants hanging over the water, onto which you can drop crickets or whatever for the archers.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i have 20 long with a cage topper, a wire cage that goes on top of the tank for semi aquatic animals. the silver hatchets i have in the tank portion like to jump into the cage portion, which always made me think of archers. if your good with you hands, you could make somthing similar for a larger tank, line the top with twigs and branches, pour some crickets in, and watch the show

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Thats along the lines of what I was thinking cam Getting a cage topper like that and using some reptile vines across the top for the crickets Right now I am in between jobs so I got to wait till I get working again to get it all setup but right now I am doing my research on what all needs to be bought and done and watching craigs list for some cheap tanks. Does any one on here have some I am thinking of trying to plant a mangrove in there for them to hide in also or would this be impossible to do im looking at getting a 80 gal + possibly a 180 gal if I can find one cheap enough

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store