Yellow tang help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rica5tully

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Lake Mills, WI
Visit site
I've had a yellow tang for three weeks. He's been great: eating like a pig and really energetic.

Yesterday it seemed like he wasn't as hungry. Today he isn't really interested in food at all. He's lethargic- just swims around slowly and hides more than normal. And he's really working his gills. It seems like he's breathing heavily.

I just put two snails and three hermit crabs in there...I hope I didn't introduce some parasite into the tank! One snail died and I removed it.

My tank:

55 gallon

1 margarita snail
3 hermit crabs (one unaccounted for)
1 ocellaris clown
1 yellow tang (the one in question)

Amonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- around 5
SG 1.025
Temp: 80 (a little high)

Any suggestions? Should I give him a freshwater dip? Does he sound sick? Do tangs just have weird appetites sometimes? but if so, why the labored breathing?

Thanks...I'm really worried.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
It sounds like he's not doing real well but I wouldn't jump to the conculsion that it's a parasite. You didn't post your pH. What is that testing at?

Also, was the tang healthy when you got it, or was it faded and real skinny? I've seen a lot of fish, when I worked at the LFS, just give up and die after a week or two of them coming in. I think it maybe due to collection methods, well thats my theory anyway.

How is your water movement in the tank? Are you getting adiquite oxygen exchange?

Guy

rica5tully

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Lake Mills, WI
Visit site
Thanks for your response.

My PH is 8.3

I guess I wondered about the parasite since I just put those 5 inverts in the tank.

I'll keep an eye on him over the next couple of days...hopefully he'll turn around.

Yes, he was skinny when I first got him but I fattened him up and he was doing great for the last two weeks.

Thanks

rica5tully

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Lake Mills, WI
Visit site
This morning I got up and my ocellaris clown was basically laying on the bottom and acting weird. When I turned the lights on I saw he had Ich spots.

The tang's white stripe is bright and he's still not eating.

SO...I put him in the quarantine tank (10 gal.) and added methylene blue. I gave the clown a freshwater dip for about 20 seconds (he got stressed but seems o.k. now) and the rockwork is messed up in my tank from trying to get the tang out. ARGGHH!

What should I do? Should I assume it's Ich (like I've assumed so far)? If it is, do I have to leave my main tank empty for 2 months to have the Ich die off completely?

I can't think of any other reason the tang and clown would quit eating, breathe heavy, and become sluggish.

Thanks.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
When you wrote the tang was breathing hard, I was going to guess cryptoracyon (ich). It goes for the gills first. According to what I've read, the tank needs to be fishless for about a month to be sure. The parasites won't last longer than 3 weeks.

Inverts don't carry ich, although they could bring it with water from the LFS. More likely, the tang had an undetectable case before it got into the tank.

rica5tully

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Lake Mills, WI
Visit site
Thanks. Questions about that:

1) I don't see any actual spots on the tang (he's just acting like ich) Can you see Ich spots on a yellow tang?

2) How should I treat him? I've got methylene blue in the water and I'm going to lower the specific gravity to 1.012 or so.

3) Does methylene blue contaminate a tank for future inverts like copper does?

Thank you!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I've never heard on methylene blue as a treatment for cryptocaryon. What I have seen recommended, and had some luck with, are copper, formalin and hyposalinity. But there are probably people better qualified to answer that one.

The first place cryptocaryon goes is the gill. The fish will breathe hard, and act stressed, like your tang. I assume you will soon see spots on the tang, even if there are none now. Both fish will need to go to hospital for treatment, until you are absolutely certain it is gone.

rica5tully

AC Members
Feb 15, 2003
Lake Mills, WI
Visit site
With hyposalinity, should I buffer the freshwater with baking soda like Robert Fenner writes in "Conscientious Marine Aquarist"?

Are you saying that I should put my two fish in the hospital tank for a month so that the Ich will die off out of the main tank? That sounds risky: my hospital tank is small.

Thanks for your help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store