help! dueling hydrometers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vombatus

AC Members
So I am working on getting the salinity in my brackish tank to where I want it, for the mudskippers I'll be getting in a couple of days. I have two hydrometers, one's the floating tube kind and the other's the swing-arm kind, and they give me different readings every time; that is, they don't agree with one another. I don't like either one of them. To use the tube, I have to put water from my shallow tank into a tall bottle. But on the swing-arm, the numbering starts at 1.012, which is a little higher than what I need (1.003-1.010). I'm really lost! I know the SG doesn't have to be exact or stay super-constant for mudskippers, but I want to be able to know for certain that I'm in the proper range at all times. :help:

Last edited:

zoowks

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Orlando
any suggestions on reliable, effective refractometers? I'm looking to get one also, no more swinging-arm for me!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Gotr mine from Ebay for around $35. Along with that refractometer, be sure to buy calibration solution. I find mine needs recalibrating avery few months. If you decide to with Drs Foster & smith, I can tell you how to get a discount.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
the triple scale floating one will be a lot more accurate than the swing arm, you'll just have to correct for temperature. I agree though, a decent refractometer is the best choice.

xspainx69

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2007
Fresh Meadows, Queens NY
Yeah I agree, refractometers are way more accurate even though I dont have one lol. I am just lazy and choose to keep using my swing arm Instant Ocean Hydrometer.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Refractometers/hydrometers are crap, unless they are calibrated. Last time I calibrated mine, it was off by .005 (had been calibrated 6 months previous). The water was really 1.030 but the refractometer said 1.025!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store