mean little damselfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Ive got this threespot damsel in my tank,I need to get this devil out of my tank,he is the most aggressive fish Ive ever seen.he runs the tank,chasing everything he sees.Whats the best way to catch him without taking out all the rock in tank?Ive thought about making a little trap for him,but how long is it going to take to catch his a$$? he is a smart little fish too.any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated thanx

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
LOL, I like the title.. like there is such thing as a "nice little damselfish".. they are all mean.

Ummm.. all I can say is good luck. I have been in your position once as well, and tried for hours to trap or net the fish.. no luck.. finally spent another hour pulling out every rock and coral just to catch the damsel, and even then it wasn't easy because they are so fast. You can try a trap and may have luck, but if not, I think tearing down the tank is the only other way because your never going to catch it with a net and rocks in the tank.

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
ok i dont even have a damsel fish, i had to chase a lil SOB black molly with dropsy and the sob swam so fast, i couldnt get him. i had to take out like 30 lbs of lace rock and drain the water level to about 5 inches to get him

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I had to catch a sixline wrasse (just as mean and just as fast;)) and I had great success with a fish trap. It also worked on the chromis (who I didn't want to catch) but it didn't work on my Banggais (that I also wanted to catch:()

i found that the fish that came to your hand for feeding or near by, were the ones that went in the trap. Another way is to get a fish bag with a chunk of food in and see if it swims in.

Either way, good luck - you're going to need it;)

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
LOL I just caught and relocated my Velvet Damsel last night. Very fast.

If the little three spot comes around to eat alot, get a big net and feed into the net, after a day or so, just lift the net at feeding time and you will have him.

I have been lucky and caught some without removing rock in the past, but good luck with that.

ram303

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
darwin australia
I have the answer for you if you dont care what state he comes out.
take one fine small(really small) fish Hook. Dont laugh just yet.
using a pair of plyers, streighten out the hook. and snip of the eye.
take a large wooden Skewer and a roll of cotton and and attatch the fish hook to the skewer nice and tight. for added strength use a few drops of super glue, let the glue well and truly dry. Only Super glue. donot use Tarzans grip.super glur is verry thin and will be absorbed bye the cotton.
take ur time to make you spear.
now take one thick rubber band and u have a minni Spear gun.
Happy Hunting.
I have used this teknique befor and it dose work.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
spear gun?
Whats next... drop M-80's in the tank?

Wait till the lights go off, then scoop him up from behind, from the bottom up...
or use 2 nets, one to chase, and one to scoop..

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
well it just so happens I caught him,the nightmare is over and this beer tastes good.I put sceen across the tank and chased him into the screen with a net and scooped him up.tank is ripped apart but... like I said the nightmare is over and I need another beer.spearguns are illegal in bermuda btw lol!!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I had a raccoon that came and killed all my pond fish. I set up a live trap and all I caught was my dog! (I have no idea how he got in there, he is twice the size of the trap!) I am now ready for some kind of gun to get that evil raccoon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store