New skimmer out?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jester50

AC Members
Oct 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
I was at the lfs. Saw a new filter unit in stock and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it before.

I think it was by Via Aqua? It was a H.o.t skimmer, biological, chemical & mechanical, + UV sterilizer unit all in one. It retailed there for $250. Never saw anything like it before.
I might be wrong about the manufactuer, but I bet its the only unit with all this stuff crammed in it out there.
The guys at the store told me to try it and let them know how it worked. They just got them in, no one bought one yet, and they were curious if it was any good.
So I thought I'd fish for an answer here. Save me from wasting $250.

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
I would not be the guinnea pig for a $250 experimental skimmer. They have been out for a little while(about a year) and I have not heard any good reviews. If your willing to spend this kind of money you can definitely buy a good skimmer. I'm not familiar with your set up but look into Aqua C, Euroreef, My Reef Creations, ETSS, Lifereef, Deltec, Tunze. I'm sure there are more, but thats all I can remember at the moment.

Brian

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I poked around a little, and found one of those units with a 5 watt UV. That sounds too small to be useful. For proper killing, you need relatively rapid throughput in conjunction with enough wattage to kill what passes through. I have done the calcluation for my 20, and a 15 watt unit with 200 gph was adequate.

If it's the same unit, you can get it online for about $130.

I don't usually like all-in-one units anyway. What if you decide you hate one of the components?

If they were going to let you take it home for a free trial, I'd say go for it.

jester50

AC Members
Oct 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
re: new filter

Free trial, wouldnt that be nice! Nope, was never serious about buying the unit. Just curious on its performance. Thanks for the review!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store