My Calvus Surprised me Today...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
My female white Calvus claimed a shell today and lured what I thought was a female black Calvus to it. They started circling each other, then the female ducked into the shell for a few seconds. Once she emerged the male lowered his bottom half to the shell and vibrated. He ducked inside the shell head first at one point, I'm hoping he doesn't eat the eggs. I was just reading today how Calvus should be considered shell- dwellers. Pics coming...

Last edited:

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I'm hoping eventually. I'll need to get a few more shells, she started younger than I thought possible with Calvus. I was expecting 6 more months or so before she was breeding age. I don't think I'll be raising fry though, they grow so slowly.
Does anyone know if these offspring will be considered mixed? I'm not entirely sure how the different color variations differ. By locale I'm guessing? If they're considered hybrids I don't think I'll be trading them.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm not sure how that would work. Calvus breeding isn't documented much mainly because they take so long to grow that breeding is considered difficult. I'd ask around at www.cichlidforum.com and see if anyone has an answer.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I've had problems with CichlidForum. I keep having trouble logging in there. Maybe I'll check it out again. I have a suspicion that they will be considered hybrids. I'm not really interested in setting any more cichlid hybrids free into the hobby. I think my Gold Calvus is a hybrid, he just doesn't show the sort of color others I've seen do, probably mixed. Anyhoo, I'll update as they go and try to document it as time allows.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
hey afro i am like you as well on the hybrid issue but if you do have a few extra mutts i could take some off your hands and no i will not let them into circulation just a thought, mine are still way to young but i have the golds and blacks together in my 120gal and i have extra tanks for slow growing fry, yeah i thought you knew that calvus were shell breeders aye pretty cool and yes the male if he is able to poke his head in the shell he will grab a few eggs or fry if given the chance but usually the female acts as a wedge so he can not get to them, man thats awesome i cant wait til my calvus spawn, good job buddy..

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
You could trade them as "hobby-strain" Calvuses...I don't think anyone would have too much of a problem with that unless they were afraid that someone would call them one race based on phenotype.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store