Bumblebee goby question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
I bought 3 of these little guys the other day & have them in my quarantine tank, and they are doing awesome!
They were in freshwater at the store, and I have read various articles since bringing them home that they prefer brackish water.

I'm wondering if I should leave them in my FW tank or put them in with my mudskippers after quarantine

Opinions are greatly appreciated!

IMG_1371.JPG IMG_1373.JPG IMG_1377.JPG

vmprlrd

AC Members
May 8, 2008
mine are in BW but i slowly raised the salinity slowly over a period of weeks casue mine were in FW when i bought them

Mokomon

Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
OMG!

I thought I was losing my mind!
I THOUGHT I had posted this once, then couldn't find it, so I reposted :)

Thanks guys for your opinions!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Actually there are several different gobies which get called bumblebee.

One is Bumblebee Goby Brachygobius nunus which will do best in brackish.

Another is Burmese Bumblebee Goby- Brachygobius xanthomelas and reaches 0.8" TL. A true freshwater goby.

And then there is the Schooling Bumblebee Goby- Brachygobius aggregatus which reaches a total length of only 0.6"! Unlike other bumblebee gobies, this one is fairly social towards conspecifics. They also school. These are a true freshwater goby, although they will tolerate low-end brackish water without trouble.

The above info came from http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm He sells all 3.

Mokomon

Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
Thanks twotank!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
BBGs do fine in either fresh or brack, I've kept various species in both.

Mokomon

Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
BBGs do fine in either fresh or brack, I've kept various species in both.

That makes me feel better!
These guys have only ever been in FW, so I would hate to stress them with the BW

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Actually there are several different gobies which get called bumblebee.

One is Bumblebee Goby Brachygobius nunus which will do best in brackish.

Another is Burmese Bumblebee Goby- Brachygobius xanthomelas and reaches 0.8" TL. A true freshwater goby.

And then there is the Schooling Bumblebee Goby- Brachygobius aggregatus which reaches a total length of only 0.6"! Unlike other bumblebee gobies, this one is fairly social towards conspecifics. They also school. These are a true freshwater goby, although they will tolerate low-end brackish water without trouble.

The above info came from http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm He sells all 3.
To supplement TTA's post, two other species commonly found in the hobby are B. doriae and B. xanthozonus. The former adapts as well to either BW or FW, the latter tends to do better in BW.

WYite

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Xanthozona is actually quite rare and not found in the hobby.

You guys should keep in mind that A LOT of the information on Brachygobius found on the web is incorrect and spread by hearsay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store