3 gallon hexagon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would also add some sort of aeration. IME, hex tanks are more prone to oxygen depletion because the surface area is very small in relation to the depth of the tank. A betta won't have a problem with this since they breathe through their labyrinth organ, but it would be beneficial to anything else you added.

Also keep in mind that small tanks are less stable than larger ones, so require more frequent maintenance. A small internal filter to provide a good bacteria bed would also be good--this would help maintain biological filtration and allow you to do deeper cleanings of the substrate.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
It would be perfect for a betta. Put some smooth gravel on the bottom for bacteria to grow on, add the heater and put in a plant. If you use a fake plant make sure it is silk or nylon so he won't rip his fins. If you want a live plant a java fern is probably the easiest choice for you, little light, little care and it seems to do fine. If you don't have a filter for this tank make sure to change the water a couple of times a week (partial, maybe 30%) to clean out the waste. Sometimes bettas like a small stream of bubbles as well. At least mine always seem to play in them.

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
Look in walmart, there should be a very small sponge filter/air pump combo you can buy that would probably be ok in a 3 hex. You could have the top of it sticking out of the water some so it doesnt bother the betta (since 3 gallons is so small). IMO/IME I would skip the gravel altogether if you put in a filter, the gravel in one of those is pretty hard to clean good without taking the fish out, swirling the gravel around and dumping out the water.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
if the tube of the sponge filter is above water it wont work right.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I agree that the top of that filter should be below the water line so that the bubbles go all the way through and complete a circuit. It is a fine little filter though, I even used it in a 1 gallon with a betta.

Betta don't hate bubbles, in fact mine always seem to spend a little time each day playing near the filter. Just make sure that there is a calm place for them to go if they wish. Plus that filter has a valve in the airline to slow the flow of air and reduce the bubbles.

With that little WalMart filter you will be able to do 1 time a week water changes. The betta will probably also use it as a plce to sit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store