Damsel and Clowns is it possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I have a 3 1/2 inch Velvet Damsel and a pair of Maroon Clowns less than 2"

I was thinking of putting them all together in a 37 tall tank. The damsel never really bullied any other fish, but the female clown did kill a damsel awhile back, the damsel was very aggressive.

So I am more concerned about the Maroon Clown going after the damsel after time. Anybody have any luck with clowns and damsels together?

Also thinking about a snowflake eel for this tank.

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Are you really attached to that damsel? I am sure you have read about them and how mean they can be. That blue velvet is no exception. It may be peaceful now.. all damsels seem to start that way to trick you.. then 6 months to a year down the road overnight they turn into killers it seems. If it were a choice between a Maroon clowns and damsel (I know clowns are damsels), I would definately pick the Maroon clowns, although now a days I would prefer just the normal occelaris or even a ORA Naked clown because they are much more peaceful than the maroon.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Are you really attached to that damsel? I am sure you have read about them and how mean they can be. That blue velvet is no exception. It may be peaceful now.. all damsels seem to start that way to trick you.. then 6 months to a year down the road overnight they turn into killers it seems. If it were a choice between a Maroon clowns and damsel (I know clowns are damsels), I would definately pick the Maroon clowns, although now a days I would prefer just the normal occelaris or even a ORA Naked clown because they are much more peaceful than the maroon.
Yes, I am quite attached to this fish. She is my first saltwater fish, and over a year old. I just yesterday moved her to this tank (previous tank in the one week and still happy thread).

It is said they also turn dark grey when they get older. One lfs has one that is a little smaller that is turning dark gray, so I don't know if at color change is when they get mean or not. This one is a pussycat, will eat out of my fingers. (about 3 1/3 nose to tail)

I picked up a lawnmower blenny today, and it is in qt now. Thinking to add that also. I'm looking to overstock this tank to see how well the scrubber does. By the time the eel gets big the 225 might be together.

But I haven't decided to go fish only with the 225, but reef would kill me financially.

So total stock for the 37 with a 29 long sump/scrubber would be the velvet damsel, snowflake eel, lawnmower blenny, and a blue niger trigger maybe.

I was looking at the catfish looking sharks, and passed on them, I think they may be too boring.

Since the maroons are fairly reef safe, I may just put them in the 29 after I get the sump going for that reef tank. If I thought they could be alright with the damsel, well, then I would forgo the other stocking for the 37 with exception of the lawnmower blenny, and maybe a red hermit then.

1st pic is the new 37
2nd is ricky and lucy in a 10 gal qt/hosp
3rd is Grettle in the 29 original setup from a year ago.

DSC04342.JPG DSC04347.JPG DSC04313.JPG

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
What if I added another velvet damsel, a small one?

Would damsels sex out then? I really have no idea what sex this fish is.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ummm.. someone else will have to chime in on that question because I don't know the answer to that. 1 damsel was more than I could handle so 2 was never a thought that entered my head, especially after spending hours tearing down and rebuilding my tank just to remove the evil little ........

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
What if I added another velvet damsel, a small one?

Would damsels sex out then? I really have no idea what sex this fish is.
Unfortunately, damsels are gonochoristic (i.e. single sex or non-changing), so you're either stuck with male or female. I honestly wouldn't purchase another. They exist in the wild in small groups consisting of mostly females and some (or one) dominant male(s). So they are basically haremic in nature compared to clownfish, as well.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
First vid is of Hansel and Grettal right after dumping the new little guy in with the established larger one (Grettal)

[YT]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJx3bnf9TCM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJx3bnf9TCM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/YT]

This one is of the following day, and both seem to be doing well. Hansel has learned to stay out of the way for the most part. Man these are awesome fish.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3RIbQnjLMcQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3RIbQnjLMcQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

And the last one is the clowns I would like to add to this same tank, but just don't think the clowns are up to the challenge. The little one Ricky always swims as he does in the vid. I believe he is retarded, thus Ricky Retardo and Lucy.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tITfQOGNvEM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tITfQOGNvEM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
poor little ricky retardo..he's so CUTE!!!!!maybe he's just silly like that..after all they are called CLOWN FISH !!!

naw, just retarded I think. They have been back in the 55 and the new odd behavior is clearing the sand from one corner of the tank. They both scoop it up and carry it away only to be blown back by the pumps. Ricky sleeps on the bottom now, in the hole they made.

I picked up a sabea anemone friday, and after it is acclimated and through the qt, I may add it and see if they take to it. I'll just need to have the camera ready.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store