$45 feeder platie?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...tvariantid=4561&TopCatId=2820&c=830 2190 2820

Feeder Platies (Poecilia variatus)

ORDER THIS ITEM Item # Description Price Qty Add CN-39915 LF - Feeder Platies

$ 44.99
:headshake2::headshake2::headshake2::headshake2:

That being said, anyone else have feeder platies? I never see some sold in Petsmart/Petco. I would think they are bred to be fed to predator fish, and the price is obviously wrong.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
LiveAquaria said:
This feeder pack arrives with 85-100 specimens ranging in size between 1/4" - 1/2."

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Ya I seen that was wondering if anyone had raised feeder platies, or if any types of variants.

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Honestly, it's not too bad of a price. I've read something about how you shouldn't feed the feeder minnows to your predators either, since they're coldwater fish and have more fat than what tropical predators are supposed to be consuming. Considering that your choices are generally rosies, goldfish or feeder guppies, the price for the size/amount of the platies isn't too bad, when you compare tropical vs. cold and the size difference between platies and feeder guppies.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I have bred platies and guppies as feeders, it works fine.

Mindcrime121

AC Members
Nov 2, 2008
Willows, California
I saw that ad recently while surfing fish sites too, and was like "$45 for a plattie, and it's a feeder?!?" so I checked into it and saw that you get a whole bunch of them for that price as a breeding colony. The price made sense to me then, and ya, I've also read that it's bad to feed goldfish, guppies, etc to tropical and salt water predators. Seems like a real good idea if you have a salt water predator tank. Was reading cold water fresh water feeders cause liver damage to things like snowflake eels. I don't know if platties are the same as mollys in this regard, but I know mollys can go brackish and even survive in salt water for some period of time, so if they are similar in that way it makes good sense to me to breed one or the other. If not though, I'd say breed mollys instead, obviously.

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Toss some extra stuff into the cart and the shipping is the same price. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store