Bubble Tip VS Korallia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Guess who won.

I was at the lfs and was looking around and we found this guy stuck in a korallia. They gave me the anemone so I figure since I'm horrible with anemone's and such, why not try again, at least if it dies it wasn't my fault.

So this gal whom I shall name Kori, is really mangled. She was pulled through the grating of the powerhead, and would not pull off, I had to use a scissors and cut the thing loose. Put into a bag and brought home.

I acclimated to my new tank for about a half hour, and just set it right there (as in photo). Flow is real low, light is very poor. Looks like she attached to the rock already and I do see some contractions, very slight. A small amount of green on the few tentacles that seem intact.

So I am thinking to just let it sleep off, so to speak.

Any special needs for a severely traumatized bubbletip?

Kori and I thank you for your help. :)

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Nothing really special you have to do.. just hope it makes it. One recommendation is to run carbon on your system if your not already to remove anything bad that the anemone may release from its wounds.

Unfortunately I have seen that happen all to often with anemones/koralias

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Thanks Ace, How will lighting affect a mangled anemone? Is it better to keep low or higher, it was in a tank with metal halides, but the tank was rather tall, and now Kori is about six inches off the lights, 18 watt life glo I think.

And what and when to feed it. I don't think it has a mouth anymore.

Well it's lights out soon, so who knows what I will wake up to. I have no idea how long it was in the power head, but it wasn't completely jello.

What are the odds of survival?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
If there is no mouth at all, ummm, sorry to say chances of survival are slim to none. Under 18w of light that is low light to begin with so I would put it at the very top. I would attempt to feed it if it inflates. I used to feed my anemone a cube of food a day, where it be brine, mysis, or whatever else I had in cube form.. probably not the best thing to do sticking a frozen cube on an anemone but I never noticed any ill effects from doing so. The anemone would grab onto the food with a tentacle and pull it into its mouth. Silversides are also a common thing to feed anemones. I had mine for 5 years before I gave it away, and 2 years later it is still happy with the maroon clown I gave away with it in a nice 220G tank with a solaris I series light.

Good luck!

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I have no idea how much if any mouth is available. I guess tomorrow I will get the frozen brine and offer some.

Since it is in a 20 gallon, looks like if it survives alot of water changes will be in order.

I saw some youtube vids of bubble tips being cut in half, how do those eat? Well, anyway I think if it will survive, I will have to plan on putting it in the reef tank that is not set up yet.

Thanks for the info.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
When people forcefully frag an anemone they do so just like a mushroom. Either cut it directly in half so a piece of the mouth is on both, or to the extreme, cut them up like a pizza.. you just have to have a small piece of the mouth left and it will regrow. I have never been brave enough myself to frag an anemone, but some people can do it.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I was queezy just cutting it loose from the power head.

But then maybe it will survive. I hope so, been thinking about anemone for the clowns.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Checked on it after lights out, it does not look good at all. :(

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
OK last night after lights out, it totally deflated and I thought it died.

This morning I offered brine shrimp and it seemed to take it, but who knows what it did with it. It is in real sad shape.

Tonight after lights out it looks like this, Totally inflated looks like it will burst.

DSC04364.JPG

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
this photo was last night after lights out. It has been on the move also.

DSC04356.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store