craggy sea rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
just wanted to see what folks thought of this rock decoration from petsmart and any personal information if anyone has used this decor in their setup i just ordered two of them, they are really huge in terms of a rock made out of resins (man-made) below is a photo that i pulled off the web and is what i have now..

pPETS-5041851dt.jpg

this fake rock will be the main focus in my 55gal shellie tank
SIZE INFO

• Length 18.10"
  • Width 12.20"
  • Height 9.50"

pPETS-5041851dt.jpg

rugbypredator

AC Members
Apr 10, 2008
Southern California
the "rock" looks pretty nice. I actually bought something like this when i first set up my tanks. My fish loved it, and if the "rock" is like mine your fish will really enjoy swimming in and out of the holes. And if you are trying to stay with a natural look, it does look like something right out of lake tang (at least in my opinion). nice pick up =)

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool thanks buddy, i am going to probably do this to my 120gal as well but each rock whops out 50 bucks a piece so i am doing the 2 in the 55gal and i may do like 3 or 4 in the 120gal they also make a another one that is just a tad bit smaller and 10 bucks less..

you are so true aye they look life like and isnt heavy at all take care buddy..

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
They look very natural. Petsmart is cooming out with some really nice fake stuff. I tried wood and it got slimey so I have a couple pieces of their fake wood and I really like it.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool thanks jackio yeah i am impressed with it but its sorta spendy in all..

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I don't know what kind of reef stores you have available to you, but they often stock dry base rock that is similar to holey rock. I have a pet store that sells it for $2.99/lb, but there is a reef store that has it for $1.29/lb. Give it a month or two, it gets all the algae and other stains and looks awesome at a much cheaper price.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
rogersb wrote :
I don't know what kind of reef stores you have available to you, but they often stock dry base rock that is similar to holey rock. I have a pet store that sells it for $2.99/lb, but there is a reef store that has it for $1.29/lb. Give it a month or two, it gets all the algae and other stains and looks awesome at a much cheaper price.
Cool deal aye yeah i am like what you said as well that base rock does pretty darn good in an african setup and the bad part is that i had a 50gal reef tank with live rock both base and fiji piled high to the top of the tank and when i did away from saltwater fishes i put all that rock in styro boxes that fish are transported in and put them down at my dads garage and he sold them in yard sale i would say at most 100LBS of rock for 20 bucks man you talk about being ticked my dad said he didnt know which he didnt so i cant really blame him its my fault, but this decor is really light weight no more than a few maybe 5 LBS and looks real its pretty huge as for deco goes.

later buddy.. thanks for the info..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
thanks coler yeah i was going to do the 120gal with this but i will see what it looks like in the 55gal first. take care..

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
:iagree:Never bought base rock just for that, but over the years have aquired dead "live" rock and base rock at garage sales, leftover attempts at failed reef tanks. It looks great in African tanks.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store