Why White Cloud minnows with Goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SkWsdm

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Can someone explain why, other than temperature considerations, I keep reading here that White Cloud Minnows are good tankmates for goldfish, when guppies and other minnows will probably look like food to them? :huh:

Do White Clouds just taste bad? LOL!!!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
They both do well at the same water temperature is normally why they are kept together. There are some goldfish that will munch them but normally they get along fine. Goldfish are more salad and bug eaters.

Cliff Mayes

wirehair
Feb 19, 2007
Western, NY
Someone is always wanting to add another species to a Goldfish tank and another "cold water" type that seems to come readily to mind is White Cloud Mountain Minnows. WCMM are a really neat fish but Goldfish should probably be kept by themselves. Snails maybe but anything else is not advised.

SkWsdm

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
I was researching the 'with snails or golds only' proposition when I tripped on all the WCMM posts.
I was surprised, and then puzzled. Thus, my query!
I appreciate the input, though. I do want all my critters as happy as possible!!!

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Even though a lot of sources say its fine for WCMM to be with goldfish. I would not advise it, goldfish produce a lot of waste. I rather keep my WCMM in a fairly tropical tank.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
They do great if the tank is large enough, they have enough numbers and room to school, and you feed them on opposite sides of the tank from the goldfish. You will not get any fry from them as the goldfish will eat all the eggs.

Goldfish do not produce anymore waste than comparable fish of the same size (key emphasis on size). You just have to be sure not to overstock the tank and the waste level is not an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store