A little Feedback Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pǝʇzıʍʇ

AC Members
Nov 17, 2008
got a 55g givin to me the other day and i would like a little feedback on my stock list.

1x Salvini
1x Red Spotted Gold Severum
2x Jack Dempsey
1x Common Plec
1x Firemouth

I have one AC110 and one AC50 for filtration.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Nix the severum, one dempsey and the pleco. Change to one dempsey, one salvini, and one or two firemouths, and be prepared to deal with possible aggression issues with that stocklist. Once they're all full grown, you'll be pushing max stock in a 55 even with excellent filtration. Note, I know that most references claim a max size of 6" for firemouths, but in 25 years I've never seen a firemouth larger than 5" TL.

Don't know enough about AC filters to know if that's adequate or not.

WYite

pǝʇzıʍʇ

AC Members
Nov 17, 2008
well the sev is the main fish i want for the tank. what else can i keep with the sev? i like my tanks to be a little over stocked (so shoot me).

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Switch the sev for the other dempsey and ya'd probably be okay. Personally I think a 55 is a little small for a sev, but I don't want to start a debate on that here. I'd consider a t-bar and a couple of rainbow cichlids if ya have access to them, as well, in place of the firemouths and salvini. Both are a little more mellow than firemouths and salvinis. The sevs I've had over the years have varied greatly in temperemant. Some would hold their own with oscars and jags, others were babies that could be kept with anything that they couldn't accidently swallow.

WYite

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
I have a sev in a 55 with three blue acaras, one firemouth, and one bristlenose pleco. I think the JDs will get too big for that tank - they grow pretty fast. In addition, that pleco will outgrow your tank as well.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
You have listed enough fish to fill a 150g tank, ditch the Salvini, JD's and swap the common pleco for a smaller pleco and you should be good to go.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
You have listed enough fish to fill a 150g tank, ditch the Salvini, JD's and swap the common pleco for a smaller pleco and you should be good to go.
Disagree.

A BN or other smaller pleco will get picked on too bad if the posting party (what's up with the squares?) decides to stick with the salvini and firemouth, and the larger plecos add too much bioload, therefore skip the pleco altogether. Good chance you'll end up with bristles torn off and/or bloodied/torn fins. Ya won't see the pleco much as it will always be hiding. A pleco isn't a solution for algae and it doesn't replace good old-fashioned maintenance.

If ya want the severum as your center piece fish, I'd suggest a t-bar cichlid and a couple of rainbows. Far less aggression. If ya insist on the severum, salvini and a firemouth or two, then have a back up plan for aggression, which may or may not occur at an unacceptable level.

WYite

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
A severum, 5 bolivian rams, a BN pleco,and a shoal of cories. I have this in a 55 and have had no issues so far. My sev is 4", but sevs are not known to be overly aggressive unless you have a mated pair.

pǝʇzıʍʇ

AC Members
Nov 17, 2008
:liar:eek:k well the fish i listed in my first post have been in my 55g for 4.5 years. they are all perfectly healthy and thriving. never had any agression issues or torn fins. maybe its because they all grew up in the tank as juvies. i just wanted some other peoples opinions on it thanks.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
got a 55g givin to me the other day and i would like a little feedback on my stock list.

1x Salvini
1x Red Spotted Gold Severum
2x Jack Dempsey
1x Common Plec
1x Firemouth

I have one AC110 and one AC50 for filtration.
I don't get it. Why would you say you just got the tank in your original post and then contradict yourself here? The question you should have posted is not whether you can, but whether you should. Yes, you can. No, you shouldn't, for the reasons given by other posters. It's good, sound advice. You should take it now rather than later, when the problems arise. And with your current stock, they will. Take it from someone who used to do the same thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store