need tadpole id

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Hey everyone,

Today we got our shipment of feeder fish in at work. So I was putting the feeder fish away and I noticed there was a tadpole in with the rosy reds.
I ended up taking the little guy home with me. Right now he's in a plastic container/tank for right now. Would he be able to go in with my black moor? I know when he grows legs he'll need to be in a seperate tank with land and water. I have an empty 10 gallon tank I could use I just want to wait and see if he does good for me and I need to find a place to put the ten gallon lol. Yes, I know I got him on impulse and that's not really a good thing. Anyway, I think he's a leopard frog tadpole but I'm not sure. I was hoping you guys could tell me what kind of frog he'll grow into.
Here are some pictures of him. Sorry if the pictures aren't very good. Please ignore the odd tint of the water in the one picture. I think it's just the color of the plastic container he's in. I did rinse out before I put him in it.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Thanks Virtuoso2K12. I'll put him in with my black moor in a few days. I want to make sure he's healthy first. I'll change his water everyday until I put him in with the goldfish. Do you know if he's a leopard frog tadpole or not?

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
He's definitely a ranid. Could be a leopard, but can't rule out other species from these pics. Some more closeup shots and pic of underside would be helpful.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
He's definitely a ranid. Could be a leopard, but can't rule out other species from these pics. Some more closeup shots and pic of underside would be helpful.
I think it's a leoaprd frog tadpole too but pics of it's mouthparts would help a lot.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Dunno what he is, but we get the same kind in our Feeder Shipment bags at Petsmart, along with crayfish.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
So you need a picture of his belly and a picture of his mouth?
I'll try to get some better pictures of him. I'm not sure how to get a good picture of his mouth though.

Darrylr, we get crayfish in with the feeders too sometimes lol.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Ok I took a few more pictures of my tadpole. unfornately I couldn't get a decent picture of his mouth but I did get some pictures of his belly.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Too hard to tell. Can you set your camera to macro? It's the little flower icon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store