Cory Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ganina

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
I have several times that Cory's like to be in groups. Could you please tell me this is? I have 2 corys ,1 flying fox,6 black skirts,6 plattys ,and 1 gold gourami in my 20 gallon high. I see my corries all the time. They are very active.

Rick

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I am not sure what your question is. I have just 2 cories in one of my tanks, though they are active and present, they are not nearly as "happy" or present in my tank with 10+. The security they get in numbers showcases their best attributes.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I have a tank with 10 in it and a tank with 4 in it. I see the 4 out front all day, everyday, but 10 cories in the other tank are chasing each other around doing "dog" piles, darting everywhere.....constantly! They are simply amazing to watch. I will be getting more to add to the other tank. You can literally tell that they are much more comfortable and happy.

Cliff Mayes

wirehair
Feb 19, 2007
Western, NY
The story I heard a long time ago is that Cories come from fast moving streams and are in the thousands. Apparently the fish are used to being in large groups so probably are programmed to react well in groups, the bigger the better. Tanks are, at best, bizarre to our fish so anything we can do to make tanks more like "home" is good.

Incidently you are probably aware but for those who are not; Cories are not garbage eaters; yes, they are foragers (generally in the substrate) but they seem to prefer live stuff or real food if they can get it but in a tank fish take what "God" offers 'cause it is not as if they have a choice, other than starving.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store