Moving house - moving fish tanks! Tips & advice please!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finley

AC Members
Hi

I am moving house soon. Apart from moving all of the furniture etc, I will have to dismantle, transport and reassemble two fully stocked freshwater tanks. They are small - just two feet - but oh boy, the thought of it is just stressing me out!

What recommendations do you have for making this go smoothly, and keeping the fish alive and well?!

Journey time is about 1 hour between my old home and the new one. I have valuable Thai import Bettas, Loaches, Tetras, an expensive L number catfish, CRS, loads of plants, a huge peice of wood, kilos of gravel, etc. :help:

Thanks!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
When I moved, I got 5 gallon buckets... 2 for each tank. Put tank water & fish in one, tank water & plants, decor, filter media in the other. Moved the tanks with substrate & minimal water in them.

All the fish made it through the move fine, and it was much easier than I thought. Just took some planning. With that long of a ride, you may want to think about adding some prime to the buckets with fish in them.

You could use something smaller for the bettas, just need more of them =)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What has been posted sounds good. Though I would take the time to do a extreme gravel vac even if means refills, to minimize the cloudiness at the other end.

I don't recommend moving any tank with water or substrate in them, no matter how little.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store