Dragon Goby Algae!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hilltopperpete

AC Members
Sep 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Our Dragon Goby/Violet Goby lives in a 46 gallon brackish tank (sg 1.006). Its fins have had some algae growth for quite some time (wouldn't happen in nature because they live so deep and don't get much sun-- hence the tiny eyes). I had a green scat that would try to eat the algae off the goby (which resulted in some bites out of his fins), but flipped it for a less voracious scat.
:1zhelp:
Now the algae is creeping down his body, which really doesn't seem safe since skin is so important to fish. Would a high dose of algae removing tabs in a quarantine tank be safe for the goby?
:help2:

Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Algae doesn't and won't grow on fish, which leads me to believe that you are dealing with a fungus/bacterial infection of sorts. Do you have any pics?

Your tank is also very much overstocked based on your profile setup. What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

hilltopperpete

AC Members
Sep 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Picture of algaefied fish

This is clearly algae.

I'm not sure which tank you think is overstocked, but all my tanks are at 0 for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.

photo.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have no idea what you are even referring to in that pic, it's too blurry to see...but algae WILL NOT grow on fish due to their slime coat. It's not possible.

And I am referring to your 46 gallon. A 12" eel, a goby and scat that will reach at least 12", and a mono that will get close to 10" can not possibly feel comfortable long term in that size tank. I hope you are planning an upgrade for that tank soon.

Unless your tanks are heavily planted 0 nitrates is not a good thing. An established cycle should see all ammonia get converted to nitrite and then nitrate which can only be removed by water changes and plants. What type of test kit are you using?

Also, which species of moray do you have?

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have a dragon goby and his fins are like that too. I know for a fact that it is not algae (it's impossible - as jpappy mentioned). They just have "dirty looking" fins. As long as he's eating and swimming fine, there's no need for concern.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Are you referring to the spots on the fins? AS they get bigger, they get that kind of coloration. Agreed...not algae.

hilltopperpete

AC Members
Sep 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Gotcha. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store