Colombian Ramshorns :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Well guys and gals, here comes my first attempt at hatching a clutch (two actually!) of Colombian Ramshorns.
Here are the eggs, which (I believe) were laid on 12/13/08.
Long shot of the eggs in a plastic breeder:

Close-up shot:

And here are some shots of the proud(?) parents:
2 parents:

1 parent & my lovely BN:

And here's why they're in the breeder:

Please excuse the cruddy pics; I'm still getting used to aquarium photography. It's a lot harder than some of you make it look!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They look very healthy! Such cool snails! We don't see them posted much in the forums, I am glad you are going to post pics.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
oh that tricky school stuff! Keep us updated as you can! I have yet to find these snails locally. They are quite nice looking.

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
There was another clutch on the glass when I got up this morning, so there are now three separate clutches in the breeder. :D

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Are these the bigger rams horns? I mean I got rams horns, but do these get bugger? and the eggs are cool looking, not like my rams horn eggs.

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Yeah, they're also known as Giant Ramshorns. I believe they generally grow to 4-5cm. I have 8 of them that are 3-4cm. Mine came from a friend who kept them in a small tank, so I don't know if mine will get any bigger or not.

Edit -- Scientific name is marisa cornuarietis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store