New goldies & anchor worm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
We purchased a some new goldies 2 oranda each 1 1/2" and 2 faintails each about 1" last week ... yesterday we noticed that one of the faintails had red sores on its body. I immediately started treating him with jungle treatment for bacteria parasites etc ... well he died over night - I figure the meds were too much for it.

Today we notice that one of the oranda has red sores on it as well - some of the sores have white strings coming out of them - I diagnose this as anchor worm.

What is the best treatment for this? Also what is the prognosis? Really want to save this oranda its a beautiful fish.

I am in the process of doing a 50-60% water change - I also figure I will have to treat the entire tank since these dang worms are probably swimming around looking to attach to the other fish ...

:(

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
Thanks for the links!

I will head over to Pet Smart and see if I can get some dimilin and some medicated food ... I think I will treat the infected fish at first hoping that the entire tank isnt infested.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
Well they didnt have any of that dimilin stuff - I was lucky enough (I guess) that they had 1 pack of API general cure left so I grabbed it. It says that its designed to treat anchor worms among other things. It contains metronidazole and praziquantel both mentioned in some of those links above so I am hoping that they do the trick. Wish me luck ...

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i would also complain to the store you bought them from letting them know the wholesaler sold them infected fish. and if all isnt sold yet they can treat them before more people end up with a tank full of sick fish.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
The API general cure should definitely take care of the anchor worm. Both active ingredients are powerful anti-parasite meds. I would treat the entire tank, not just the infected fish, as the tank you bought the fish from was likely infected. Anchor worm are not the type of parasite to infect only one individual.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
I just put in the second dose (48 hours) ... another 48 hours and it says to do a water change and put the carbon back in. The fish is already looking better - the red sores are almost gone and the worms are starting get darker in color - hopefully they will fall off as I dont really want do do tweezer surgery.

I havent dosed the 150g tank yet, as no other fish is showing any signs of worms. I hope I dont have to dose it because that would be a lot of meds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store