marine ich. need advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaNeal

Registered Member
Dec 14, 2008
i have a 75gl tank with just a few damsels and mollys and they have ich. my problem is all the inverts and anemones. also if i remove the fish what about my scooter blenny and my convict blennys ( engeneer goby). ive read they are not as succeptable to ich.how do i treat? thanks!

Last edited:

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
First of all it's not Ich, Ich is a freshwater disease, it's marine whitespot or Cryptocaryon irritans to use it's correct name.
Not sure where you read the info reference your blennies not being succeptable to whitespot as all fish are succeptable, some may fight it off quicker depending on how strong there immune system is but it will always come back if not treated correctly.
You have 2 options really but both involve removing all your fish to a hospital tank and treating with either copper of hyposalinity. You will have to leave your display tank fallow for a minimum of 10 weeks in order the whitespot to die off.

satiger

AC Members
Aug 29, 2007
Recently I had this issue on my tank after introducing tang into it. Unfortunately I don't have a big QT to accomodate all my fishes and live rocks (don't have inverts and anemones). So, I decided to treat whole display tank. Based on google search, I found Kordon Ich Attcach is 100% organic and safe on live rocks and corals.

I treated the tank with that for about 11 days and still the tang had the white sopts and rubs against the rocks. Then with the frustration, I treated the tang with Kondon Rid Ich+ which doen't have copper. I was prepared to loose some corals and even may live rocks. I continued the treatment for about 7 days with 3 times water change (20%) in between.

Also when I started Rid Ich+, I had started feeding the fish with garlic soaked food mixed with vitamins. Towards end of 6th day, I introduced cleaner shrimp. It was unbelieveable that tang goes towards cleaner shrimp and give his body for cleaning!. Initially shrimp shy away from tang. Lately, shrimp cleaned tang. Last few days I am seeing tang doesn't have any white spots and doesn't rib against rocks.

In short, I am not sure exactly what helped curing the tang. My feeling is that chemicals may have prevented more hatch, but good nutritious food and frequent water change and the introduction of cleaner shirmp might have played crucial role (nature way!). As long as fish eats well, it is better to feed with good stuff in order to have better immune system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store