20 gal all male

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
I`m going to have an all male cichlid tank with small cichlids?I was told 3"were too large for a 20 gal.,so that just leaves a few 2".Is that right?Any suggestions?HELPPPPPPPPP:D

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
In a 20 you are limited to a pair of some small cichlid, dwarfs would be a good choice. What are your water parameters like?

If you water is on the soft side i would go with a pair of dwarf cichlids like apisto.caucatuoides, rams or kribs

If your water is hard (7.8 +) then i would try some shell dwellers from lake Tanganyika.

These are jsut a few examples. What are you interested in?

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
Valerie cichlids were suggested to me because i have soft water and I think they`re pretty:) I was thinking about kribs but was told 3" was too big for a 20 and should go with striped dwarfs,pandas,lamprologus a or butterfly blue rams.I`ve only seen the striped dwarfs:) .Could i mix male of each or will 4 small cichlids be too many?What about bottom dwellers with them(corys)?

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
Thanks Matt:D

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
No corys !!!! That leaves the kribs out.:D Nah i`m doing an all male cichlid tank so the breeding part doesn`t matter.

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
Hey Mary I haven't noticed you over here yet. Glad to see ya here, I think she is wanting just males so there is no breeding aggression and she can keep her cory cats with them, and the males are usually the best colored in most species. Still I'd only put apistos or rams with cory cats in a 20g.

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
wouldnt a multi male group of any sort of cichlid go to war for territory in a small tank? also no matter what type of cichlid you get they all get moody from time to time and will let other fish know if there annoyed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store