selective breeding with blue shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
I did not think that my blue shrimp would be pregnant so quickly, but I need some advice on what to do with the blue shrimp that dont look like blue shrimp.

These shrimp actually form their own little pack in the tank. They dont really interact with the blue shrimp, Im not sure if they are the same or not.

I just got the batch of shrimp a week ago, and there are also red ones in there, and the guys in the pics, do I leave them all in the same tank, or net them out?

I also have some shrimp from other species tanks that I dont want breeding, I was going to put all the rejects in a tank of their own and see what comes out.

IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3357.JPG

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
My husband thinks its a great idea to put the unwanted breeders in a tank by them selves to see what comes out.

We have to reinforce the stand we are making soon. We have an entertainment center perfect for housing my extra 30g and has room for the hanging lights too! Ill post pics when we start

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Sounds like a great plan! Just as an FYI, the blue shrimp you have I think are the same as the ones I have. The resulting generations do not retain the blueness nor opacity. They range in color from reddish, to striped, to speckled to a blueish cast. They are quite lovely in their own right. If you feed a special blue enhancing food, the get closer to the original parent colors. There is also a high mortality rate of the adult blues though the resulting generations seem to do well.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Feed foods with astaxanthin (naturose). That will help with their coloring. Its availabe in alot of "color enhancing" foods or as a powder at kensfish.com.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store