oranda sitting oh the bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
The past day or so my big oranda has been sitting on the bottom. When food is ready she swims normally, eats, but then returns to the bottom and just sits there. No pine cone effect, tilting or anything of that nature. I noticed on her tail she has red veins. Could that be causing her to sit on the bottom?

I just tried to take a pic of her sitting on the bottom but she saw me and started swimming around, she finally settled back down though. Shes over 10" long

As for info shes in a 180gal, ammo 0 ni 0 nitrate 10.

I was thinkin maybe she was constipated so I treated the tank with epsom salt. I was thinking maybe medicated foods? And just feed it to the entire tank?

Last edited:

icemanx23

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
Red veins in the tail! Seems like bacteria infection like septicaemia. Can also cause by water quality. Is he in recently set up tank? Do u feed live foods ? I heard boiled green peas are good for constipation and swimbladder disease. try avoiding pellets and flakes if u think it's caused by swimbladder. If u want to treat him be sure to setup a quarrentine tank.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Na this 180gallon has been setup for months. Previous tank was a 6x6 kiddie pool which from before that was my 55 gallon tank. That tank was setup for years and I just moved the filters onto the kiddie pool, then onto the 180gal so its well seasoned.

Summer time is the only time they get live foods like rollie pollies and worms, but its been many months since there last live food meal.

All my fish are to big for flakes I give my smaller guys tetramin tropical crisps (catfish, tiny goldfish, balas and tinfoils eat these the most) The goldfish main food is cichlid gold and cichlid staple. They have been on this for a few years now.

As for a quarintine tank the only thing I have is a 20gal, and putting a 10"+ oranda in that thing would be a nightmare. I dont have the filtration and bio to keep that thing clean without turning the tank into a waterfall. I figured it would maybe just be best to treat the entire tank incase someone else catches something the oranda has.

Cliff Mayes

wirehair
Feb 19, 2007
Western, NY
Usually redness in the Fins means a H2OQ problem for whatever reason. If so do your water changes to bring the Ammonia/Nitrite levels down. For whatever reason your bad chemicals may not be the normal 0. If you can get a reading of Ammonia and Nitrites in the tank it would be helpful.

The redness may be residual from a formerly bad situation and might go away with better water quality.

Any time the fish is not comfortable it will affect behavior which is one of the reasons to observe.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Usually redness in the Fins means a H2OQ problem for whatever reason. If so do your water changes to bring the Ammonia/Nitrite levels down. For whatever reason your bad chemicals may not be the normal 0. If you can get a reading of Ammonia and Nitrites in the tank it would be helpful.

The redness may be residual from a formerly bad situation and might go away with better water quality.

Any time the fish is not comfortable it will affect behavior which is one of the reasons to observe.
The ammonia and nitrite levels were in the first post, both 0.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
It could be the beginning of a bacterial infection or it could be and injury from something. They are active swimmers and will get injuries from time to time.

Personally I would just increase the water changes (no salt) and watch closely. If it starts to get more severe then I would treat with a gram-negative antibiotic.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
OK. well she is still the same. I didnt feed the big guys last night just the little guys so she didnt get much food to eat. She still moves and swims when she sees me so hopefully shes just uncomfortable. Ill keep everyone updated. I will prob do a 50% water change today to just to keep everything pristine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store