PLEASE HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tweak72

Registered Member
Dec 15, 2008
Hi. I'm a new user in desperate need to find an answer in regards to something my much loved gold fish has. Several months ago I noticed what looks like a blister on his side up by his dorsal fin. He is a big fancy fan tail and is 3 years old (give or take a few months). He's very happyand healthy appearing and I spare no expense on his care. He has absolutely the best of everything and has only ever been an "only fish". This blister, which is the same color as his scales- orange, appers to be getting a bit bigger. I've been all over the itnernet trying to figure out what this is and I can't find any answers. I'm very frusterated and worried. If anyone knows anything please contact me ASAP. Thank you!!

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Welcome to AC! :welcome:
Tweak, it's difficult for us to diagnose the fish without knowing a little more about his situation.

What size tank? How long has it been set up? Is it cycled?
What kind of goldfish is this - fancy or singletail?
What is your water change schedule and what are your parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, kH)?
Any tankmates?
Any recent changes to the aquarium?

This will help us pinpoint the problem. Often what seems like an isolated issue can be linked to something you wouldn't think of.
I'm going to guess it may be lymphocystis or a tumor, both of which goldfish are quite prone to, but we can't know for sure until we know the whole situation. :)

Tweak72

Registered Member
Dec 15, 2008
Re Please Help

Tweak is my fish's name actually and he's a fancy tail:). He is in a 10 gallon tank for well over a year now, I change his water every other weekend and I use aquarium salt, water conditioner and a product called Cycle that is supposed to put beneficial bacteria back in his water. He's never been with other fish. There have been no recent changes to any of his routine, chemicals, or food. He's fed twice a day and gets blood worms on the weekends with his regular food. I only use flat smooth store bought river rocks for the bottom of tank (he's so big that I had to go to something that he couldn't fit in his mouth) and I only use slilk aquarium plants and when those get yucky I buy him new ones. I never use any kind of soap when I clean his tank, just hot water and paper towels. His filter gets changed with every tank cleaning. He's only ever been sick once in his life and that was last February but I isolated him in a hospital tank and can't remember what I gave him now but within a couple days he was back to his old self. I never really did figure out what was wrong with him other than he was lethargic. He's a very happy fish and for all intents and purposes looks healthy. I've had him just over 3 years and he was a Wal-Mart fish. When I first got him he was all black but gradually he changed from black to orange. If he has a tumor or this lymphocitis is there anything to treat him? Will I have him much longer?? I'll try and get a picture of this growth but when he sees me he gets very "animated" and won't be still because he knows I feed him.

Last edited:

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
There are a few problems with your setup. If the fish is 3 years old and still physically fits in a 10 gallon tank, he is likely stunted. A 3 year old fish - even a fancy goldfish - should be at least 8 inches long and would look quite cramped in a 10 gallon. Stunting is a result of being kept in a tank much too small for too long, and it can trigger major health problems down the road. A 20 gallon tank is the absolute minimum recommended tank for a fancy goldfish.
However, there are a couple other issues that could be causing problems. You didn't mention your water parameters or type of filter, so I'm going to assume you don't check parameters because you don't have a test kit, and you have the standard hang-on-back type of filter, the kind with the cartridge. The product you keep adding, Cycle, should be unnecessary once the tank is properly cycled, and these kind of "bacteria in a bottle" products are almost always useless anyway. They don't work.
I suggest you read our sticky on cycling:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

Once you've been through it, you'll understand how difficult it is to maintain a cycle in a tank with the HOB type of filter. The best way to overcome this issue is to float the new cartridge in the tank or clamp it to the side of the tank for at least a week before you put it into the filter, to allow some transfer of bacteria from the old cartridge to the new. Otherwise, every time you change the filter, you are throwing out your entire colony of beneficial bacteria and starting a totally new cycle. That can make your parameters spike wildly and make your fish sick.

It sounds like you really care about your little fish, and that's the best place to start from. Don't feel bad about the mistakes you've made - they are quite common and if your only resource was the pet store or wal mart employees, there's no way you would know any better. The important part is that you care for your fish and you're eager to help him get better.

Unfortunately, lymphocystis is untreatable, as are tumors. Another possible diagnosis is fish pox. Lymphocystis and fish pox are both viral infections, with no known cure. It's impossible to know what causes tumors, perhaps something in the water, perhaps the fish was genetically inclined to develop tumors... similar to tumors in humans, no one really knows.

However, the good news is that none of these commonly develops to a degree where they harm the fish. They look a bit ugly, and you could take him into a vet to have the growth removed, but he may live a long, happy life even with the bump. As long as his behavior doesn't change, he stays hungry and active, there's nothing to worry about.

I do recommend that you buy a larger tank soon, though. As soon as possible. There are often 20 gallon tanks in our classifieds section - you might even post a wanted ad in the classifieds if you can't find one. A 30 gallon tank would be even better.
If you have the opportunity to buy a better filter, take it! If not, you can maintain your cycle as I said, by keeping the new cartridge in the tank water for a week before you put it in the filter. Throw away the Cycle, and cut back on the salt in the water. Salt is a good treatment for some diseases, but there's no reason for using it all the time. And buy a test kit! The liquid kits are the best - they're expensive, but they last quite a while and they are definitely worth it. Then you can keep track of all the chemicals in the water and keep your fish as healthy as possible.
Best of luck, and keep us updated on your little fish. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store