Non-aquatic plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
I'm going on a hunt this morning for some more plants, and was wondering if anyone has a quick list of plants that are being sold as aquatic but are not.
Thank you

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
basically, any plant that has white in it, like the white stripes..... are not aquatic plants. They also try selling these forest looking ferns (not the java ferns) as aquatic when they are not.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
Beware of the purple waffle plant Hemigraphis exotica, also any plants that are ferns (unless they specifically say java fern). There is also a plant that has long, wide vertical grass blade-like stems that have white center stripes edged with green. Can't remember the name of it, but it's a terrestrial plant as well.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
mondo grass

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
the way i go now i dont buy the plants in the "cylinder" tubes...i will only but plants from the tanks with water in them!!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The only way is to have a mental list of plants you want and have researched and only buy those. If they don't label the plants with their names, ideally Latin as well as common, don't buy them.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
the way i go now i dont buy the plants in the "cylinder" tubes...i will only but plants from the tanks with water in them!!
I dunno, my petsmart has the tubes and offers some nice anubias plants, including a Barteri or two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store