Catfish play??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
Do catfish play?? I mean big cats.
My RTC (16") and my marble cat (same length but thinner body), were going head to tail grabbing each other. Round and round till they tired of it (didn't take long). No damaged fins; didn't look like either was attempting to make a snack of the other.
tia
judy

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not sure if very many fish have the mental capacity to truly play. Many engage in activity we interpret to be play, but it's not that same as bingo night. Most play activity is actually based in mating rituals or mock comcat. Many big fish will engage in mock combat for territory--prevents injury, but still establishes who is the boss.

Dogs are the same way--most 'play' isn't really all that friendly.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I have a "school" of 10 petricolas with a maze of PVC Pipes. On occasion, I do see them "play" with each other. from chasing, to swiming in circles to swimming with each other in one mob. I do think they enjoy each others company.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
Thanks guys/gals. I know the fish was probably a territory thing, but I do believe dogs play. Of course, the dominant one always wins, so in that sense, it is still a display of dominance.
judy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store