Wanted to say "HI" and have a question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hdhearts

AC Members
Oct 20, 2003
Northern Nevada
Visit site
Last week i set up a 55gal tank cycled it with 3 goldfish,brought in from my pond after a week I tested the water and everything was in spects. I've taken out the goldfish, all but the smallest, and added 2 Angles, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 1 placo and now I would like to all 2 Pearl Gouramis and 2 Blue Eye Cichilds.
My question is; will that be too many fish?
I have 3 live plants and several floating plants in there as well, I just don't want to over tax my tank.
The water is;
PH- neutral
Alkalinity- 120
Hardness- 25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 20
I also have a 2gal, a 5gal(set up for a sick tank just in case), and a 10 gal, along with a 800gal pond. Does this make me fishy?
This is a GREAT site!!!
Thanks

MrGoodbytes

...has a research topic! :)
Nov 27, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Hey, welcome to the forums :).

I don't think that would make you tank overstocked at all, even if you did get the fish you wanted.
Your parametres seem fine. Are they measured in ppm? If they are, then to me, you're lucky, because my water's really hard (KH = 300ppm+ :p).
What kind of plants do you have in your aquarium? You should check out the plant forum, it's a great resource for anything green (or red).
I think you've got a good start on 'fishy' too :).

Graeme

hdhearts

AC Members
Oct 20, 2003
Northern Nevada
Visit site
Thanks for the warm and fast welcome!!!
I have the following plants in my 55gal tank; 1 Anubias Congensis, 1 Microsorium Winderlov, and 1 Green Lysamachia along with Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce, that the Gourami's seem to enjoy very much.
Thanks for the input MrGoodbytes:)

CandiBug2

P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney
Oct 3, 2003
Philly, PA
Visit site
I'm not so sure that your tank has fully cycled. Cycling takes about 4 weeks and in many cases more, with or without fish. I don't think you've overstocked, but I would let some time pass before I added any additional fish. If your cycle isn't complete, adding more fish could make the situation difficult. Welcome to the boards.

CandiBug2

P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney
Oct 3, 2003
Philly, PA
Visit site
Also...

"I've taken out the goldfish, all but the smallest, and added 2 Angles, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 1 placo and now I would like to all 2 Pearl Gouramis and 2 Blue Eye Cichilds."

Aren't goldfish coldwater fish? Angelfish are tropical and require a heated tank with water temperature ranging from the lower to mid-80's. I'm not so sure that this will work... I wouldn't keep the goldfish in there.

hdhearts

AC Members
Oct 20, 2003
Northern Nevada
Visit site
Ok- update...
Goldfish- back in the pond.
Heater- in- set at 78*
Water quality is still in good specs.
And I just couldn't help it I added 2 Pearl Gouramis.
I think I'm done adding any more fish.
One of my Angelfish did do a bit of nipping with the new Gouramis, I think he was letting them know the pecking order.
Well, everyone seems to be getting along and settled in, even the Pl*co spends more time out in the open.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
I would keep an eye on the angel fish. There is a decent chance that your gouramis and cichlids will decide to de-fin them.

the dwarf gourami's inparticular I would be careful of. sounds like a pretty tank though!

dont go removing anything yet just keep your eyes open. :)

MrGoodbytes

...has a research topic! :)
Nov 27, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Oops, ya, sorry, I was going to mention the goldfish but I must have forgotten.

Water sprite is another very nice plant that could do fairly well in your aquarium.

Graeme

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store