the Craigslist 55g Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Since it's cold and I can't give Ollie a walk (the princely dog refuses to walk when it's raining outside), I guess I'll start journalizing about my next project.

A few of you might remember this from the posting in Classifieds about a 50 or 75g tank in So. Cal for $50. I was one of the first people to contact the seller but I lucked out as another guy had seen the tank earlier that day but didn't take it because the tank was shorter than he (read: his wife) wanted. So I came later that day to pick it up.

The Beginning...
Saturday (12/13/08): At the guy's house, I ask what size the tank is and he said he searched it up and it's a 60g. I later used the volume calculator and came up with 53g, so I'm guessing it's a 55g tank (using 48"x15"x17").

Included in the deal was tank, stand, canopy (chucking this since it's got fungus and starting to fall apart), some gravel, a big biowheel filter (the one with two spillways), and an Ebo-Jager 200W heater (non submergible). I'm going to test the filter and heater to see if it works. Might keep the heater if it works but definitely selling the filter.

Tank has black trim and a glass center brace about a foot wide. Pretty good shape. No real obvious scratches.

Sunday (12/14/08): Moved the tank to the backyard and the stand inside the house. My parents and I spent about 15 minutes wondering where to put this behemoth (relative to our previous tanks) inside the house. We found a spot but I'll have to run an extension cord along the wall since there's no outlet on that wall.

Mom says I should paint the stand black. Since I'm living at home, I guess I'll have to comply.

Tank gets filled up to check for leaks and to soften up whatever was dried onto the surfaces.

Monday (12/15/08): It's raining and cold. I really don't want anything to do wth water outside of the house.

Tuesday (12/16/08): It's not raining and it's not as cold as it was the day before. So I take that chance and go outside to check up on the tank.

No leaks. Sweet. Proceed to drain the tank and remove the gravel from it. After gravel removal, scrub the brown gunk off and start working on the water stains. Clean the whole tank, rinse out the vinegar, rinse a few more times...

Wednesday (12/17/08): ...only to have it rain all day again.

But on Tuesday night, I sold an unused 25g I had laying around for $25, covering half the cost of the tank :).

Equipment: Basically whatever I have on the 20G right now will be transferred over to the 55g. I'll be running 2 filters, the 205 and a 2215 I purchased a while back. I also have a 2213 that needs a little work but that will be an option as an add-on. Still need lights. Looking at the 4x54W Catalina T5HO but might be using it on 2x54W or 3x54W (if possible).

Will be investing in a Python for water changes. I'd need a bucket brigade if I was going to do it with buckets.

Inhabitants: Like the equipment, I'll be moving it all over from the 20g.

As a little teaser, a picture :).

Okay, don't hate me. I'll get pics of the tank tomorrow when it stops raining.

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
I'll be following this thread. :) That's an awesome deal considering what good shape that stand is in. I'd imagine the tank is in just as good of condition, if not better.

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Off-topic, I know, but for anyone thinking of getting a tank through Craigslist... Ignore the size they tell you and ask for length, width, and height measurements to figure it out yourself. They're rarely correct in their guesses.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Off-topic, I know, but for anyone thinking of getting a tank through Craigslist... Ignore the size they tell you and ask for length, width, and height measurements to figure it out yourself. They're rarely correct in their guesses.
Indeed. The guy didn't really know how big it was to start with. In the ad, he described it as 50g or 75g. That's a pretty big range. I didn't ask for dimensions but a picture and I got a general idea how big it was.

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Yeah, the last tank I got was advertised as a "35g" and I asked for dimensions... They even exaggerated the dimensions they gave me. Turns out it's more like a 25. Oh well! Okay, I'm done derailing your thread.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
cool!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store