lethargic oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trying

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I've had my orange oranda for about four years. recently he has been sitting on the bottom a lot. It seems when he tries to swim he sinks head first. His head is quite large and his hood covers some of his eyes, so when he goes after his food he dives right into the bottom of the tank. I am not sure if he is diving to the bottom or the size of his head is pulling him down head first. Has anyone had this problem or know what might be wrong?

He is in a 75g tank with three other gold fish, half his size.

trying

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
He is probably 4 1/2 inches, not including tail. 25% water change every other week. I feed them goldfish pellets, seedweed select, and blood worms occassionally. I will have to check water params and get back to you. The other three are doing fine.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
they get head heavy just make sure he gets sinking food,

if he still eats and comes or tries to come to the top he should be fine, this breed does just get tired fighting the weight of their head, and rests a lot.......

trying

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I did fast my oranda for a couple of days, but no change. Now I have been hand feeding her, since it seems that she might be hungry. When I put food in she swims so fast that she crashes in the bottom trying to get the food. Also because her hood is so large she seems to have trouble seeing her food. I was thinking it might just be the weight of her head. So it is good to know that might be all it is.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Cliff Mayes

wirehair
Feb 19, 2007
Western, NY
Your partially grown Goldfish may be having stability problems, which Goldfish are prone to and fasting them sometimes helps as does feeding sinking or wet foods.

At time the Wen or head growth becomes too large and obscures the eyes but usually does not cause the fish to become unstable.

Instability, quite often, does not go away and I have heard of folk who have created all sorts of devices to support the fish.

trying

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I finaly got a couple of pics. I will try to post in the next couple of days. OJ (her name) is still lying mostly on the bottom. She does get very excited when I feed them and tries to swim around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store