Aggressive clownfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cavalier2123

Guy on the couch
Jan 16, 2007
Newnan, GA
I have a 90g reef that is mostly zoa's and mushrooms at the moment. I moved to a new house last year and had some die off afterward, and the tank has been somewhat neglected ever since. The tank has a chromis, angelfish, and the clownfish. Ever since the move, when I stick my hand into the tank the clownfish tries very hard to take a bite out of it. After about 5 bites he gives up, but continues to follow and circle around my hand wherever it goes. Any ideas on why he is so aggressive? Is this behavior going to be dangerous for any of my inhabitants, present or future?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I have a 90g reef that is mostly zoa's and mushrooms at the moment. I moved to a new house last year and had some die off afterward, and the tank has been somewhat neglected ever since. The tank has a chromis, angelfish, and the clownfish. Ever since the move, when I stick my hand into the tank the clownfish tries very hard to take a bite out of it. After about 5 bites he gives up, but continues to follow and circle around my hand wherever it goes. Any ideas on why he is so aggressive? Is this behavior going to be dangerous for any of my inhabitants, present or future?
This is actually typical behavior. Clownfish are naturally territorial in the wild, since they must protect their anemone, eggs, etc. Being a damselfish doesn't really help the situation, either, but the same sort of need for aggression applies to other damsels, as well.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Your hand needs to be the big fish. Chase the clown try to catch it with your bare hand. Every time you stick your hand in the tank chase it.

I have a velvet neon damsel that eats from my fingers, every now and again she misses and gets my finger, so I have to chase her. Fish do learn (condition)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store