Betta exploded

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
So I get home today and go to feed the fish, and see my sons betta at the top of the tank.... normal enough, he is usually at the top when someone comes down and ready to eat.

I look a bit closer and see something is wrong, really wrong, it looks like his stomach exploded? Last night when I fed him he was fine, today dead, and no idea why.

I had noticed a couple days ago he was looking a little fat, but not to the point that I was worried. Does anyone know what might have caused his untimely death?

I would have taken pictures but had to get him out and out of sight before my son saw him (he is 3yo and its his first fish tank, he loved that fish, bright red betta named Lightning McQueen). I am not sure what to tell him when he notices Lightning is missing, he gets upset enough if he does not get to feed him or help change the water.

tanks 036.jpg

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Exploded as in gut blew out
Yup, big hole and you could see internal organs. I don't think it was dropsy, he was not showing any other symptoms at all.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I have heard that bettas will literally eat 'til they explode.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Wow , first time I heard of a fish exploding. I had a Saltwater Blue Angel that got a peice of gravel stuck right at the end of the digestive track if ya know where I mean?? It got extremely fat and died. I did my own autopsy and found the gravel :werd:

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
what else is in the tank? there is a chance that the betta died and then the other fish/critters picked at the body.
He had a 10G to himself. The hole was exactly around where he had appeared fatter than usual.

I feel bad for not thinking more of it when I first noticed it, but at the same time he was acting fine so had no real cause for concern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store