Sparkling Gouramis + Scarlet Badis in small tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
Hello all, I have a heavily-planted 5.5 gallon tank that's been running empty (have been feeding it flake and doing w/c's now and then to maintain parameters of 0/0/10) for a while, and I'm planning on doing something exciting with it.

Would a trio of sparkling gouramis work with a trio of scarlet badis? I understand the gouramis stick to the top, and badis to the bottom. Do you see any immediate problems with this stocking?

(FWIW, I've been keeping fish for quite a long time, and I know what I'm doing re: most freshwater fishkeeping...not a noob :p)

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Unless you get female D. dario, I would highly recommend against three. Two of my three males in a heavily planted ten gallon are currently beating the snot out of the third. I would try two and be ready to remove one of the males. If you can get some girlies, I would go for 1.2 D. dario. I have not had mine in with any small fish, but I don't think they would mess with the sparkling gouramis

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
Got it. From what I've read, sparkling gouramis actually get a bit bigger than the badis?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I agree, I think the sparklings get a tad larger. The largest male badis I have is about 1" and I have had him for about 6months. The three in my 10gal are all about 1/2-3/4"

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
Thanks for the info, guys! I decided on just a pair of sparklers and a school of celestial pearl danios :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store