tangs killing shrimps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
i had 2 cleaner shrimps in my tank for around 2yrs until about they passed away about a month ago...they did a great job and my tangs loved them especially the orange shoulder.
so as its christmas and the orange shoulder was missing the cleaning service i thought i'd give them a treat and get another cleaner shrimp.
i purchased one cleaner and i was going to go back next week and get another...got the shrimp back acclimitised it and popped him in.
right away the orange shoulder was offering himself for cleaning but the shrimp wasn't interested as it had only been introduced...looks like it was a fatal mistake cause next thing the orange shoulder started to attack it then not only that the yellow and powder blue joined in tearing the poor shrimp appart....so much for tangs being reef safe :(
Its not the first problems ive had with my tangs and eating stuff their not meant to...my powder blue chomped his way through my big leather i had in the center of my tank....he started just having a passing nibble then started just tearing big chunks out of it eventually.
So just a warning that tangs are not always as reef safe as you may think....but great fish never the less...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store