Phosphates and algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
so I am wondering since I have a pretty bad staghorn algae outbreak if I should put some type of phosphate remover in my filter. I have adjusted my photo period and have cut my feedings back to every other day while double dosing Excel. I dose ferts every other day now too.

I have a 55 gallon with 2.9 wpg, so what is your opinion?

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Plants need phosphate too, btw. Without testing it, in your aquarium or tap, I wouldnt recommend a phosphate remover.

Fill us in on what your dosing and your schedule, plus lighting and CO2, so we can help you a little better.

Also I cant determine your meaning by "cutting back feedings", to the fish or plants? If you mean fish, maybe cut back the amount per feeding instead of fasting the fish every other day instead.

gcis

AC Members
Jul 12, 2008
I am using the EI dosing index, Flourish Excel, 2.9wpg. I cut back the feedings because I have a lot of neons that eat up everything on the top of the tank and I have a lot of bottom dwellers that need to be target fed.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Nutrients are merely 1/3 of what, and only about 5%, helps plants grow............

CO2, good maintenance etc basic aquarium keeping etc is the rest along with reasonable light.

Clean out inected leaves, trim them etc, add CO2 gas correctly, you do not need most of the EI if you use Excel, you might consider cutting the dose by 1/2 to even 1/3.

Whenever you up root or move plants around, always do a large water change thereafter(50-70%), and make sure you do not uproot the entire tank, leave at least 50-70% , save some of that for next week.

Feeding a lot is fine as long as you have a good filter, good current and do large water changes.

Basic stuff that applies to non planted aquariums.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I am using the EI dosing index, Flourish Excel, 2.9wpg. I cut back the feedings because I have a lot of neons that eat up everything on the top of the tank and I have a lot of bottom dwellers that need to be target fed.
You have a lot of light there and not much carbon.
If those are PC or T5 litghts, then yes, you likely are asking for it. Adding excel can and will work, but you need to stick with it from the start, and remove the infected plants.

Cut the EI by 1/2 at least.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store