Clownfish Hosting Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pipebash

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
i think most clowns will host just about anything that suits them until something better comes along

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
What is hosting?

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
In the wild clownfish live in the tentacles of anemones. Anemones tentacles can sting fish, similar to a jellyfish but less intense, but clownfish have developed a method of becoming resistant to that sting.

Anyway the clown is 'hosted' by the anemone, one animal being the home for another animal is called hosting. Unlike many fish that swim all over the reef, once a clownfish has found an anemone to live in it will stay there. In an aquarium there is usually no anemone so the clownfish simply finds the closest thing, in its mind anyway, to an anemone. Why is this 'hosting' behaviour so strong in clownfish, well basically since the anemone can sting, the clownfish is safe from predators within the tentacles. So the need for a clownfish to be hosted by something is a survival instinct. In the aquarium environment clownfish do perfectly fine without an anemone because there aren't any predators in an aquarium.

The relationship seems to only benefit the clownfish but studies have shown that in the wild an anemone with clownfish will do better than an anemone without clownfish. It is a symbiotic relationship, both animals benefit equally.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Jess, do you have pics? LOL..I'm always interested to see pics of them hosted by algae, heater, etc. I had mine hosted only by anemones and live rocks.:D

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
I wanted to get a picture but he didn't host it long enough for me to get my camera. I'll try to get a picture next time he does it =) Actually now I noticed my six line wrasse doing something weird today too. He was searching all around the bottom of the sand going really fast. I thought he was searching for coepods? But I never saw him do that before lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store