pictus cat help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
need some help here i want to get a pair of pictus cats when i get my bigger tank 55 gal but i'm not sure about them i dont know enough about em' but i think they are awesome!!! i have 3 albino cories and 3 ottos and 1 common pleco those are my only other bottom fish will the pictus work well with them or will they hurt my cories - my cories are my main concern cause they are so gentle - also i have some platies gouramies and an angel fish i'm sure they'll be ok but what is the general consensus on everyone else thanks!!! oh - pls give me as much info as possible about this type of fish i appreciate it guys!!!:D

Matt W

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
codewalkers.com
I've kept these fish in the past and really enjoyed them. I would recommend keeping at least 3 or they will not be very active when the tank is lighted. Once three or more get together though they are bold and will be very active across the bottom of the tank even during lighted times.

I don't think you will have a problem with them and the stock you are suggesting. I found them to be a rather peaceful fish; not bothering much of anybody.

These fish eat just about anything I would put in the tank. They especially seemed to enjoy sinking shrimp pellets.

One thing to note with this fish is that you don't want to use a net on them. Their dorsal fin is quite spiney and will easily get stuck in a net. To catch them I use a small tupperware container...

lawdawg18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2003
Jackson, Ms
Visit site
I have a couple of pictus cats in my 55. They don't really pick on any of the other fish. They will eat small fish. When I first got my cats I put them in a tank with some zebra danios, one by one, night by night, my danios went from 8 to one. The pictus cats would hunt them at night. So in the mornings I would awake to one less danio and a plump catfish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Pictus are awesome fish, but you'll definitely need to watch the size of tankmates. General rules on catfish--long whiskers means this is a predator. Anything that can fit in it's mouth, will probably end up there, and those mouths are deceptive. I think the usual rule of thunb is that the fish can eat anything 1/3 it's own size.

Keeping them well fed may reduce this tendency, but don't count on that.

lawdawg18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2003
Jackson, Ms
Visit site
I have a couple of pictus cats in my 55. They don't really pick on any of the other fish. They will eat small fish. When I first got my cats I put them in a tank with some zebra danios, one by one, night by night, my danios went from 8 to one. The pictus cats would hunt them at night. So in the mornings I would awake to one less danio and a plump catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store