stain or paint wooden stand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
What's better on a stand: paint or wood stain?

I want to make my stand black so I've currently sanded some of the old clear layer off of it to bare wood. My original intention was to stain it but it's a lot of work to remove all the old stuff from it and might not stand up to moisture as well as paint would.

BadFishPa

AC Members
Sep 19, 2008
I have always stained then coated it with a polyurethane..Paint is by far easier and depending on the type of wood may look nicer too..

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
That's my thought too. While staining will take more work, it'll look better at the end. Paint is fast, cheap, and easy.

I feel bad because I have my new tank sitting outside in the elements where it's getting cold at night. Worried it might affect the resiliency of the seals.

Guess I'll return the stain and can of PU spray tomorrow and buy paint instead. Do stores carry black exterior paint or will I have to order/mix it?

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Don't worry about the tank, I've had one out in 20 degree weather for about 2 weeks and it held up just fine. If it where me, I would stain and seal it, you might have to mix up your own black exterior paint.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Don't be in a rush unless you really need to get this done fast. You'll have this tank and stand in open view for years to come -- make it look the way you really want it, regardless of how much time/effort it takes to get it that way.

You'll appreciate it more as time goes on. (Cheap and easy isn't always the best option.)

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
I sort of am in a rush. I really want to get this done before my break is up (Jan. 5th). I know I won't have everyday until then to work on it so I have to make the best of my time. I have an electric sander but progress on the old finish has been slow. I might need to find coarser sand paper.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what grain is the sand paper you are using?

also keep in mind that when you use course grade sand paper you will need to use progressively finer papers to get the scratches out of the wood. when staining.

also keep in mind that some wood won't take stain well.
you can also use analyne dyes and clear coat.. but if black is the desired look.. i would recommend paint.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Borrow someones electric sander and get all that paint off.
Stains look amazing compared to paint, but that depends on where the stand is going, so we'd take this discussion into interior design - so, lets not go there haha : ]

I'd recommend stain, even though it might not be dark enough.
If you're looking for color over quality, go with paint.

My mother does this for a living and just about everything she SELLS gets stained, and just about everything she keeps in the house gets painted white (It looks amazingly nice, but again, interior design stuff haha)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store