Whites tree frog tank help (ideas!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
OK so for christmas I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting some sort of giftcard to petsmart. Soooo, I think I want to re-scape my whites tree frog tank. Its a 20 gallon tall and I use bed-a-beast for the substrate but its super messy. I like the idea of live plants but I only have a 15 watt light and I don't know what kind it is. It gives off a purple light rather than yellow like my other lights.

I'd like to redo it as a vivarium rather than a terrarium to keep it cleaner. I'm thinking like 5 inches of water than put smooth river stones to allow the frog to be able to sit in the water. I also like the idea of a waterfall but I don't know how you would do that. I have some large rocks in the back right now just for him to sit on and three branches the fork out from one corner.

I just need some input and maybe some pics of your own vivariums would be great!

Merry Christmas!!

~Scully

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
can we see some pix of it now? That may help with suggestions. There are plenty of lowlight plants to choose from... you could put some java fern, anubias, or crypts in the water, and there are probably some more for the land portion. Sounds like a neat tank! You could do a waterfall with some pumps, I'm not totally sure how you'd accomplish that so I'll wait for someone more experienced to chime in.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Bump up the lighting to about 30-40watts and use 6500k CFL bulbs. You can use Great Stuff to create a 3D background and attach wood to it. You can also create spots to plant vines/flat spots for the frogs to rest on. I would plant moss and anubias on the bottom.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Yay! So I got 95 dollars to petsmart. I've been thinking about a false bottom because I want to add a waterfall. I don't know exactly what I'm doing here so I need a little help :) For a my plan is to create a filled false bottom probably using gravel then screen since I haven't been able to find plastic egg crate or the little clay gravel things. For the waterfall, I'd like to use flat slate rocks and stack them in front of a low level filter, I wish I could do a pump but I don't know how I would go about doing that. The waterfall will ideally somehow run down into a little stream and down into the false bottom

My other idea is similar and easier. Instead of a false bottom I would just keep 4 inches of water with river stones and than place an island of large rocks or make an island out of styrofoam for the land portion.

I'd love to see some pictures of all your tanks if you have any!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
One of you guys asked for a pic of the tank currently, sorry 'bout the lighting. I don't feel like taking a billion pics till I get "the one"

DSC05649.JPG

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
As you can see, David's tank is a very, very good example of how to make a simple yet stunning paludarium. I think in the photo sections he did a mini-build type thread on it.

Here is mine, but I don't think this is what you are looking for

paludarium120508.jpg

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
^ Yep, here it is: FBT thread

Caliviv's tank is exactly the look I was going for, moss growing out of the water into a grass like plant, creeping fig all over the back, fish and pennywort in the water area in the front, and a central piece of wood with a scoop in it and a pump routed through it for a natural little stream.

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
Scully-
Hm.. maybe take a look at your LFS and see if you can get a few large "Branchy" pieces of wood with lots of perches. For plants, perhaps a mossy background and some more plants (and/or more moss) on the ground/rocks. And, maybe if you could find a type of vine or something to grow around the back and on some of the branches. I'm not very good with terrarium plants, I'll wait for someone else to comment on that one. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store