Sick Rainbow Shark??!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ricoishere

AC Members
Dec 9, 2008
photobucket.com
I noticed these grey patches on one of my favorite, my rainbow shark. I think this might be fungus/columnaris. Can someone confirm? Pics attached. Shark is not its usual active self, plus I don't have isolation tank. Upon research, Maracyn is recommended.

Shark 001.jpg Shark 002.jpg Shark 005.jpg

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
How big is he? You could put him in a clean 5g bucket for quarentine and dose Maracyn if you don't want to treat the rest of the fish. (you may need a spare filter/heater) Looks like fungus to me.

Also...
what are water params? Other tank mates? tank size & maitenence schedule?

ricoishere

AC Members
Dec 9, 2008
photobucket.com
How big is he? You could put him in a clean 5g bucket for quarentine and dose Maracyn if you don't want to treat the rest of the fish. (you may need a spare filter/heater) Looks like fungus to me.

Also...
what are water params? Other tank mates? tank size & maitenence schedule?
He's about 4". I'm going to see about getting a 5 gallon tank for these cases. I already have the spare heater and filter. This tank also has an albino CAE, 5 Tiger Barbs, 3 long tail zebra danios. 1 clown loach and 2 Julli Cory. Tank as purchased with all fish included. For 1st week, 10% of water was exchanged daily for 1 week, then I started 25% weekly changes. This is 3rd week with this tank. All other fish seem to be fine. As a matter of fact, al are much better than they were prior to arring here.
For more, here's first post: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176575

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
he looks as he is suffering from bad water quality, could be a result of cycling the tank. I would up the water changes and make sure you make a daily note of the water parameters, keeping the ammonia and nitrites as close to zero as physically possible.

Rainbowmama234

AC Members
Aug 30, 2006
I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like any type of disease to me. The first things that came to me immediately, were fight wounds or excessive flicking/flashing.

It doesn't seem as if you have any fish that would clash with the rainbow shark. Is it possible that there isn't proper hiding places for you bottom fish and they are squabbling over places to hid? If not then I would think flashing. The marks look the same as when my rainbow shark was in poor water quality years ago and was flashing excessively. I think good clean water is all that is really needed as Dangerdoll said.

ricoishere

AC Members
Dec 9, 2008
photobucket.com
he looks as he is suffering from bad water quality, could be a result of cycling the tank. I would up the water changes and make sure you make a daily note of the water parameters, keeping the ammonia and nitrites as close to zero as physically possible.

I'll isolate him Friday. I have a tank divider that should keep him from the others. I might pick up some hiding decorations as well. I saw the Albino CAE trying to suck the slime off him.

centralharbor

fat panda cory
Sep 23, 2004
I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like any type of disease to me. The first things that came to me immediately, were fight wounds or excessive flicking/flashing.

It doesn't seem as if you have any fish that would clash with the rainbow shark. Is it possible that there isn't proper hiding places for you bottom fish and they are squabbling over places to hid? If not then I would think flashing. The marks look the same as when my rainbow shark was in poor water quality years ago and was flashing excessively. I think good clean water is all that is really needed as Dangerdoll said.
That's what I was thinking. The CAE might be sucking on his slime coat.

allifish

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2008
What is "flashing"?
What would it look like on a red-tailed shark?
Any pix?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store