Oh no - cracked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KLGFCG

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
I'm beginning to think I'm not meant to have fish. I bought a brand new 37 gallon bowfront and set it up about 2 weeks ago. Everything has been going wonderfully and I just love it, but today, while meticulously adjusting my new hornwort, I noticed a scratch/crack in the front of the tank. It just looks like a piece of dark hair on the glass, but when I rub my finger over it, I can feel that it's a scratch or crack. It doesn't go all the way through the glass (the outside feels perfectly smooth), but it is about 4-5" long, running down from the top of the tank. I don't know how long it's been there - it's not obvious so I suppose it could have been there all along and I just now happened to be at the right angle to notice it. I put a piece of tape at the bottom so I can check if it's growing. Am I screwed? I just can't face the thought of draining this tank, replacing it, redecorating the new tank, and restarting cycling. :( Back in high school, I had a major tank blow-out, the entire back panel cracked... fortunately I was home to start bailing fish into buckets - I don't want to go through THAT again either. :help:

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Is there a warranty on it? In that case..you could get the replacement tank and just move everything over to the new tank. Your beneficial bacteria are in your filter and substrate, so you shouldn't have to re-cycle in that case.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
oh shoot... you should start trying to mend that it WILL grow... you may want to get a new one right away... or just get the warrantee thing done

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I am not a big fan of cracked tanks, as most would state. Bow fronts are really not a good tank to live with a front panel crack....

rzwn

AC Members
Oct 13, 2008
My suggestion would be get the water drained and empty the tank as soon as possible..i almost lost my foot due to a cracked tank..my 125 had a crack and i didn't pay much attention..and later the tank blew up and unfortunately i happened to be in front of it..all my left foot tendons were severed..

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
mabye its glue? i know when i got my 35 it had glue on the inside that looked like a crack and i was freakin out but i felt and thought mabye its glue and when i scratched it it came out. somethin to think about go see if it is!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store