99 Gallon Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
I've seen many journals and other threads now, not only here, but also on various other sites. Just hope I can somehow keep this thread updated in similar fashion.
My goal is to piece together a lot of information that I've found in those threads. Some of you might recognize parts. (Gilles, Planted Aquariums has a great journal running. Gave me lots and lots of ideas)

So what's the general idea?
1. 99 Gallon Tank
2. Planted, eventually with Discus (they're still happy in a 79 Gallon tank)
3. Sump
4. Overflow box with drain to prevent flooding
5. Hood/Lighting and other equipment
6. Background and no visible pipes and other 'rubbish' in the display tank.

So far, I've been running canister-filters on both tanks. While they are convenient, easy and silent, I've been looking around to get better circulation of water, more filtration and space to move all my equipment into.
After reading Gilles' journal, I was hooked to the sump-idea, though with some small modifications. (No drilling in the display-tank) I might change that in the future, but for now I'm planning an overflow-box, to feed the sump.
Stand and hood is/will be wood. 2 layers of stain and 3 to 4 layers of coating to ensure it's water resistant. (outside, under a roof but with regular rain and tropical climate)
Sump will be DIY as well, got some nice pieces of glass for free. Still in the dark over that one. Will make some drawings soon to get feedback.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Ok, some pictures first.

The wood stand arrived last week, (had the frame done by a local guy) and first start to sand and stain it. Matching the stand I have already and both will be bolted together.
The back and top are very simply and cheap compressed wood! Even outside, no problem using it as long as you take care of proper protection. The current finished stand has been wet many times and not a hitch.
It's 1cm thick compressed wood, top will be glued only, the back side is screwed in with 1.5cm screws and glue.
You'll see that I leave the glue-areas unpainted to ensure that the glue really gets into the wood and bonds with maximum strength.
The stands are rock-solid, 70cm deep and 90cm high. This will keep the Display-tanks away from too small children. (My son only looks at them, hands on his back. Good boy, well trained on that, but still want to be safe, not sorry)...

IMGP6057.JPG.jpg IMGP6058.JPG.jpg IMGP6066.JPG.jpg IMGP6060.JPG.jpg IMGP6070.JPG.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Now, some pictures to get an idea of the 'victim' and where they will be positioned:

The tank is still on its old metal frame. I've been scared for the last year that it would break. Did not happen...pfff.
Plan is to move the smaller tank to that corner next to the water-tank.
From there, the new tank-stand will be lined up. There is a space of about 30cm planned between them, where they will eventually share 1 overflow-box (but separated into two individual sections, 1 for each tank)
The hood will not lean on the tanks, a separate frame to be made around both tanks. This way, stress on the tank is none bar the water itself. Also, I'll be able to hide the black plastic strips that are not done on an otherwise wooden stand and hood.
I've 'dumped' the filter of the 99G into the other tank, just to keep the bacteria going. Helps me start the sump faster once running.

IMGP6054.JPG.jpg IMGP6065.JPG.jpg IMGP6063.JPG.jpg IMGP6068.JPG.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Ok, my decision was to not drill the tank. I'll stick with that for now and hope to get some feedback on my idea for overflow.
I've attached a drawing. Hope it's clear.

To explain:
The water will come into an internal overflow box (from A to B) through top but also through a 'bottom-skimmer' (Credit to Gilles, copied that idea from him). Its pipe is lower than the water-level in A and pressure would force water in the overflow box from the tank itself.
Through a siphon with the U-shaped pipe, water will be level with the first compartment (C) of the overflow box.
My idea is to run this U-shape pipe to below the top of the bottom-skimmer. (same in the external box)
In (C) I have drilled a hole with an emergency overflow. (You know, pump running, water not draining, oooops) This overflow will be just above the normal level of the tank. It will empty in the sump which will subsequently have another emergency drain in case the situation gets out of control.
From C, it flows into E (to maintain siphon) and E empty into the sump.
D is for future use with the other tank.....

Overflow Box Design.jpg IMGP6074.JPG.jpg IMGP6075.JPG.jpg IMGP6079.JPG.jpg IMGP6081.JPG.jpg IMGP6084.JPG.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very nice!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The "79" is absolutely beautiful. I suspect though with your gallons numbers you're converting litres to gallons. Am I correct? What are the dimensions of your tanks?

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
The '79' is 120x50x50cm
The '99' is 150x50x50cm
Using my calculator on my computer to convert.
Just to get the figures right for waterflow, light, measurements and stuff which is all in Gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store