Need help confirming if my goldies are fantails and not single tails/comets

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

credenza

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Visit site
Its my first time with goldfish, though I have kept freshwater aquariums for a few years quite successfully. So I have a very basic question...
I just bought a couple of goldfish from an LFS and introduced them into my planted tank. Could someone please confirm if both my fish are fantails? and not the single tails / comets/ pond goldfish.

First 2 images are of GF#1 and 3rd image is that of GF#2

Thanks.

PopMom2008 023.JPG PopMom2008 016.JPG PopMom2008 018.JPG

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Look like fantails to me. They will eat your plants though. Is your tank big enough?

credenza

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I am glad to hear they are both fantails. They are very small , 1" each. They are in a 55g tank sharing it with 3 serpaes that will be moved eventually into another tank. The temp is at about 74-76F. I have filters marineland 70g filters and an airpump running to provide adequate filtration and aeration.

I have quite a few plants in there, despite hearing GFs can tear them up quite a bit. I loved planted tanks and wanted to give it a shot. I have put large round pebbles around the roots of each rooted plant to protect the plants from uprooting. Hopefully I dont mind the nibbling :) and my plants grow fast enough.

Do the two guys look OK to you from the pic?

I havent seen any major signs, but its too early to tell I guess.

Do you think I should do a 20% water change every 2-3 days for a few weeks and then shift to once a week water change?

Attached is a shot of my tank.

Thanks

PopMom2008 032.JPG

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
They are very cute and your tank is great! How long has your tank been up? What kinda problems are you anticipating? I bought a few 8 cent feeders and put them in my ponds outside. 4 years later they were about 8 to 10 inches and doing amazing until a raccoon came not too long ago and ate them all except 2. :( They are pretty hardy fish. as well as very entertaing.

credenza

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the raccoon taking away your poor goldfish. That is very sad and mean raccoon!

Thanks for the compliment on my tank . I am not anticipating anything in particular, but just wanted to be on the safe side so I can anticipate better. I guess i may be just stressing after all :)

This morning too they seem to be doing fine.

I was curious - how do you differentiate between fantail and a single tail?

credenza

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Visit site
Follow-up question - Sorry to go back to my original question about confirming whether my 2 GF are really fantails and not single tails.
How does one differentiate between comets/shubunkins/singletaila from fan tails.
As I look at pictures of both, I still am not sure. Please help confirm this . (My fish were sold as fan tails all in one tank at the LFS)

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
If you look at the fish body, it is more rounded and egg shaped. They are fancy fantails. If still in doubt, go look at the single tails at the lfs and compare them to yours..:)

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
The tail on fantails is two tails partially joined together at the top, which causes the tails to look a bit like butterflies from the top. Single tailed ones like comets and shubunkins just have the one flat tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store