Fishmates for a 20G FOWLR?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
i have a common clown, a green chromis, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and 10 hermit crabs. i recently added 2 yellow tailed damsels. i know all about damsels and the devils they are, but i did a lot of reading and this variety is supposed to be the least aggressive. i think it's just that my tank is too small. if it was a 40 i bet it wouldn't be an issue. luckily the guy at the store is giving me an exchange. they've been in there for nearly a month and between 30lbs of live rock and a good skimmer, and weekly 15% water changes, my water always tests good. i've done plenty of reading and searching. i was hoping someobne from experience can suggest 2 fish to replace the damsels that would get along with the rest.

ideal fish choices (but not critical) : not too expensive, active swimmer, colorful, not hard to keep.

:help:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Eww. those 2 fish do not belong together, especially in a small tank. Pick one or the other, but don't put firefish and a sixline wrasse in the same small 20G tank. The sixline will harass and possibly chase the firefish right out of the tank. Actually, I would shy away from the sixline all together for that size tank. JMO though.

Other fish to consider: Gobies (too many to name that would be good in that tank, but not to many are swimmers), Cardinals, Flasher wrasse, a blenny, and hawkfish just to name a few. The flasher wrasse would be my best bet for color, peacefulness, and swimmer.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
ty folks. the firefish costs here $119.99 and thats far too expensive for a newb like me. the six line looks nice, but i read it might eat my cleaner shrimp.
gobies are nice, but not active enough. i like to see fish swimming:)
i've been looking at perhaps a bicolor blenny though and maybe a royal gramma, but it's nice now to have other ideas as i still am undecided - more to come i hope. ty :thm:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
That must be the helfrichi firefish if it was $119.99. Normal red firefish normally run $15-$20 and Purple Firefish usually $25-$35 range. Bi-color blennies are also very territorial.. seen many problems with that one. I would recommend the Midas or flametail blenny over the bi-color. Royal Gramma and a Clown in a small tank may also prove problematic.

I have never heard of the sixline eating shrimp, they are far to small for that.. they just act more like a mean damsel than a peaceful fish from my experience.. but there will always be exceptions and I have read many on the sixline just in this forum.. so it is a crap shoot if you get a nice one or mean one.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
yes i need to check again on that firefish. i'm more confused than ever now lol. if a firefish is cheap like you say, i'd consider one, the royal gramma is nice, i could take a chance on that too. i can always return the fish. so thats about it then...not much to put in a small tank. :(

oh and one option suggested was a coral beauty (3.5") kina big for a 20G, no?

ty for the help, i'll post pics when i get them.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
well i ended up getting that firefish (the cheaper one)this is it here
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&cd=1

. the guy at the store is very knowledgeable and helpful. he said for my tank one of those and another clown that i wanted would work well - he was right! no more fighting, all the fish are always out swimming and happy and eating. the new ones even ate within the hour. i also picked up a few more hermits and a turbo snail.

so now in there are 2 common clownfish, 1 green chromis, 1 firefish, 1 scarlet cleaner shrimp, 1 turbo snail and 13 hermit crabs. i'll post pics when i get a chance. ty for the help everyone. my tank is happy now and so am i, and i REALLY hate damsels too! :D

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
That sounds like a nice tank, if the firefish isnt seen for a while dont worry they tend to hide in the rockwork.
this guy has never hid, even right after he was put in. for the first time today i looked at the tank and didn't see him (never looked at the tank very early in the morning with him in it yet) i was freaking out trying to find him. found him sleeping behind a rock as i read they do, once the sun came up he was out and about. he doesn't seem shy at all so it's all good :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store