How can I make our water harder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jukax

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I've had success in adding crushed coral to the filter. I just add about a half cup of crushed coral into a nylon stocking and place it in my filters. It will gradually up the pH and KH of the water and is very low maintenance, just replace it once a month.

Jukax

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
It would for a brief period, but the coral would quickly bring it back up.

A quick fix for this would be to drop a nylon full of crushed coral into the bucket you use for water changes and let it sit for an hour or two before adding the water to the tank.

bobbdd

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
another way

crushed coral does take a while to adjust the water parameters.

Use epsom salt to raise GH and baking soda to raise KH and Ph.

Test the amounts need to get your water where you want it by using a 5 gallon bucket,

Go slow adding it to your tanks, so it doesn't jolt the fish.

I did this with my African tanks and it worked great!

heat

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Houghton Lake, Michigan
You may want to consider using aragonite (crushed coral) for your substrate. May of the shellies like to move their shells around and bury all but the openings, so they would be happiest with sand or the smaller of the crushed coral substrates (they come in different grain sizes).. and since you need to buffer your water.. it would solve two problems in one shot.

I keep africans and use only the aragonite/crushed coral as the substrate.. I don't see any bounces in the ph etc like you can see with other additives. My tap was 7.2 and the aragonite takes it nicely to 8.3 and keeps it there.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store